Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what chorus pedal to choose?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vikunja, Apr 22, 2005.

1. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    I am very interested in getting a similar chorus sound which Jaco uses,for an example, in continuum. Did he use a special "bass" chorus or a "guitar" chorus pedal? Is a normal guitar chorus pedal just as good at doing the job as a bass chorus pedal? I don't play very bass heavy sound, more in the midrange.

Thanks

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use the Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus, and always make use of the 'filter' feature. What this filter does is causes the chorus to only chorus higher frequencies - it's continuously adjustable, so you can go all the way from 'regular' full-spectrum chorusing, all the way to chorusing only the very highest harmonics.

I find that When I run it full-range - like a normal chorus - I get volume surges in the low-mids and bass that I don't like much at all! I always run the filter knob between about 8:45 and 9:30; the pedal's set up so that 5:00 (full-clockwise) is no filtering, and CCW is max filtering. My most-used setting is (left-to-right) 3:00, 9:15, 10:00, 5:00. Give it a try in a store - Boss pedals are sure not hard to find!

I'm a mids-meister too. I nearly crank the high-mids knob on my four-band EQ, and run a 2X15 + horn PA speaker for a cab to make sure that those upper-mids project and disperse well! Oh - I also always run a compressor pedal full-time-on; it's the first thing after the bass.

Joe

3. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    Thanks for the tip! :) I'll will definitly check out the Boss CEB-3 and see what I can get out of the filter option. I would think that this pedal is not that expensive either?

4. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    +1 for boss ceb3, ive not used anything else except a DOD fx62 i think. the ceb3 makes a very nice sound.