1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what chorus pedal to choose?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vikunja, Apr 22, 2005.

1. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    I am very interested in getting a similar chorus sound which Jaco uses,for an example, in continuum. Did he use a special "bass" chorus or a "guitar" chorus pedal? Is a normal guitar chorus pedal just as good at doing the job as a bass chorus pedal? I don't play very bass heavy sound, more in the midrange.

Thanks

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use the Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus, and always make use of the 'filter' feature. What this filter does is causes the chorus to only chorus higher frequencies - it's continuously adjustable, so you can go all the way from 'regular' full-spectrum chorusing, all the way to chorusing only the very highest harmonics.

I find that When I run it full-range - like a normal chorus - I get volume surges in the low-mids and bass that I don't like much at all! I always run the filter knob between about 8:45 and 9:30; the pedal's set up so that 5:00 (full-clockwise) is no filtering, and CCW is max filtering. My most-used setting is (left-to-right) 3:00, 9:15, 10:00, 5:00. Give it a try in a store - Boss pedals are sure not hard to find!

I'm a mids-meister too. I nearly crank the high-mids knob on my four-band EQ, and run a 2X15 + horn PA speaker for a cab to make sure that those upper-mids project and disperse well! Oh - I also always run a compressor pedal full-time-on; it's the first thing after the bass.

Joe

3. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    Thanks for the tip! :) I'll will definitly check out the Boss CEB-3 and see what I can get out of the filter option. I would think that this pedal is not that expensive either?

4. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    +1 for boss ceb3, ive not used anything else except a DOD fx62 i think. the ceb3 makes a very nice sound.