1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What color are your In Ear Monitors?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BassAndReeds, Dec 13, 2017.

1. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Probably a silly question. But what color preference do you have for your In Ear Monitors? Any reason to have a specific color?

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Until you get used to your first set of IEMs, having L/R different colors can be handy for the first couple weeks. And distinctive colors can be handy if the whole band's on IEMs. (Better to always keep yours in a marked case when you're not wearing them. I like the Pelican 1010 and 1040 cases, depending on what else I'm carrying.)

But as far as aesthetics? you generally can assume the crowds won't be fixated on the bassist's ears.

Basstards likes this.
  3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Mine are smoke grey, with Red/Blue vendor logos on each to differentiate each ear.
    Nothing ostentatious.. They are "working" IEM's and not for show.
    I care how they work, not how glamorous they look :)

PS: mine came with a pelican-like case..

Basstards likes this.
  4. BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Thanks. Good to know the pelican cases are good. I was thinking of getting one.

Ethereal Thorn likes this.
  5. FutureTense

FutureTense Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    Mine are a transparent ice-blue (different color writing on each to differentiate the ears).

Basstards likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have come really close to buying some several times recently. I have participated in several threads on the subject. I have read quite a few times that it's good to get a clear set (even if there is a tint to the clear) so that you can see if moisture builds up inside.... which can happen sometimes.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    walterw and Basstards like this.
  7. BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Looking at some prominent artists, looks like "clear" is a highly used selection. I will most likely go this route, and add a white logo on the right side, and black on the left, so I can quickly determine which is which.

Thanks.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Smoke shells with orange faceplates. I'd probably order all smoke today.

FB_IMG_1512964100974.

s0c9 likes this.
  9. BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Thanks. I think the orange looks decent. I think it would blend with my skin tone. Which is probably a funny thing to say, but my understanding of why the pros are using clear in ears is so it doesn't distract the audience.

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I also reasoned that orange would blend into my skin tone, but yeah...not so much.
    IMG_20160421_153106.

11. BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I think it blends fine. And from 5 feet out, I can't imagine it would be noticeable. Maybe under stage lights it's different.

elgecko likes this.
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Mine are a smokey gray, the darkest color I could get for the ones I bought which I keep on forgetting :). Unlike others, I want mine to stand out as much as possible so I can ignore people requesting Metallica while I'm in the middle of some other song. I turn my head, point to the monitors, shrug, and they walk away. Most of the time.

As far as the case, mine came in a heavy duty plastic case which I hated. They were a pain in the butt to get back into the case, and took up unnecessary room. I traded with one of the guys in my band for the gigbag type of pouch that Sure includes with their cheaper IEMs. It's like a little change purse with a clip on it. I clip it to the inside of my bag and never have to worry about finding it, or my monitors.

13. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I see plenty of "pros" doing there own thing with colors and customization - far from pink/skin colors.
    I honestly don't think anyone cares about IEM's being distracting, so much so that when my band is playing (we're all IEM), we get folks coming up to us to request birthday, wedding, announcements, etc. they are mostly unaware that we are using IEM's.
    Have to point to our ears and get them to understand that we CAN'T hear them while playing !! :)
    YMMV

14. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Mine are clear. Clear just seems to stand out a bit less to me than certain other colour options.

s0c9 likes this.
  15. iem.

I am also in the Smoke camp, but with red/blue colored tips and wood faceplates.

16. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    clear smoke grey with silver logos. I've seen folks like Stuart Copeland with clear green, which can look snazzy, but I thought I'd keep it simple. I'm not a fan of the matte, faux-skin color ones, so I went towards clear.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah me neither, that just ends up looking kind of "medical".

i just have black universals now, but if i ever make the jump to customs it'll be some sort of clear i think.

18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that makes a lot of sense.

19. ??? There exist IEMs that are just for show?

20. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I'm guessing they are full of blinking LEDs and such.