What color hardware for new Drake custom?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, May 29, 2017.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    This seems like such a silly thing to post a thread about, BUT... I am looking for some opinions so...why not?

I am excited to have a new Andrew Drake Custom built but I am struggling because I want it to look at least a little bit different than my other Drake customs.

Wondering if I should do black hardware, chrome hardware, or a mix of black-and-chrome hardware (like a black bridge with chrome saddles, etc.)

Here are the specs I am going with:

Clear poly-finished swamp ash body, no pickguard. Musicman style control plate with V, V, T, input jack.
    Two G&L MFD SB-1 split "P" style pickups, reverse position in the Lee Sklar position - directly above and below the normal P-bass "sweet spot" position
    Passive, no rear routing
    Roasted maple neck w/ dark Indian rosewood fingerboard. MOP dot inlays.
    Roasted maple peghead with MOP Drake logo inlaid.
    Hipshot "Lollipop" USA-made tuning pegs.
    Stainless steel vintage-spec frets.

Basically, this new Drake custom will be very similar to the fretless bass you will see in a moment (below) but it will be fretted. That being said, it will have some different woods and, hopefully, will look at least a little bit different in terms of color, grain pattern, hardware, etc.

Below are some pictures of my other two Drake basses.

The fretted one is 100% Drake made. Roasted basswood body, no tint in the clear coat, roasted maple neck w/ macassar ebony fingerboard. Gold MOP dot inlays, MOP headstock logo on roasted maple peghead. Hipshot chrome hardware. Nordy pickups (changed since pictures, when they were Aggies), active/passive EMG 2-band preamp.

The fretless one has a G&L body that Andrew modified but the neck was 100% made by him. Originally a 90s G&L SB-1 100% maple body with natural flame, finish stripped and body lacquer finished with amber tint, pickguard holes plugged, routed for "Sklar" position pickups, cover made to cover original pickup rout (which houses two 9V batteries). Original G&L hardware on body, Musicman-style control plate made by Drake, EMG knobs, EMG active pickups. Neck is roasted maple with lightly coated pau ferro fretless fingerboard, black Hipshot tuners.

drake1.jpg
    sklar fretless.jpg

For the new bass, I was thinking all chrome hardware but I am not sure what will look like against a swamp ash body. I imagine it will be fine. I was going to go with the same Musicman-style control plate, not sure if I should do chrome or black. I do not want this bass to look exactly like the fretless above, but the body will be swamp ash and will look a little "blonder" I think whereas the maple body of the fretless was tinted amber. I was possibly thinking all chrome hardware (including plate) and black knobs to offer some contrast/match the pickups. There will be no center cover between the pickups...and fingerboard will be dark Indian rosewood.

I know these are silly things to obsess over but this will be an expensive undertaking so I want to get it right. :)

Thoughts?

Novarocker likes this.
  2. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Well it looks like there are some other threads about hardware color too so now I don't feel as silly :)

3. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    I think the idea of 2 SB-1 pickups is great - how does the fretless sound?
    I'd think about black for the control plate at least - G&L had that for a while in the 80s - they paired it with chrome tuners and knobs. I might go all black tho for your bass.

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    The fretless sounds fantastic. And it was originally fretted with the original G&L maple neck/maple fingerboard and also sounded great. The SB-1 pickup idea was simply because I love that pickup, and I love the Sklar configuration.

I was originally thinking all black, but then fearing it would look too much like the fretless. So then I started thinking all chrome, because a lot of MusicMan basses are clear-finished ash with chrome hardware and look great. Then I started thinking of chrome with black accents, or black with chrome accents (e.g. chrome bridge with black saddles/black bridge with chrome saddles and chrome control plate with black knobs/black control plate with chrome knobs.)

Decisions decisions...lol

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Think I'm going with good ol' classic chrome...

6. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    Can't go wrong w chrome :)

7. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Sorry I missed this thread! My custom Drakes all have the nickel chrome Hilsohts, chrome but muted. They play well off the just about every wood.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021