What color Lakland Deluxe 55-02 should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JerseyFunk, Mar 4, 2004.

1. 3 tone sunburst with rosewood board

26 vote(s)
  2. Natural with rosewood board

19 vote(s)
  1. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    I'm having a really hard time deciding between these two colors. 3-tone Sunburst with RW board or Natural with RW board. lookin for some help deciding.
  2. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
  3. Can you get that burst with a maple neck? Serious hotness then, my friend! Either way, go with the burst. Much classier looking, IMO.
  4. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    That burst one looks awful purdy... :D
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mmm i like teh natural one.
  6. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have a skyline 55-01 in a cherry burst, and I would have to say that thier pictures don't really show the bursts that well. My cherry burst is A LOT brighter and in-your-face than I thought it would be. Keep that in mind. Oh yeah, I would go with the natural.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a 55-02 Deluxe with Cherry burst and as you say, the pictures don't do justice to it - it looks great in reality, nicely 3-D effect and really catches the light!! I love it! :)
  8. I say Sunburst, but without the flame top. To me it looks more natural look/ concept of having a Sunburst. That's the way my 55-02 is, with a maple neck. Gives it a a crisp and growl sound. Rosewood necks have a more woolier sound. Great instrument !!! Cheers
  9. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    The next Lakland I buy will be the Sunburst with Maple board... So my vote was Sunburst!!!
  10. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I've had the sunburst w/rosewood. Its better looking in person. I currently have the natural w/rosewood and tort pickgard. My next Lakland will be with a maple neck. Both will serve you well. :bassist:
  11. Man,if it was for me the Sunburst...
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But he did say Deluxe 55-02 and that is only available with Quilt Veneer and three finishes :

Natural, Cherry Sunburst, 3-Tone Sunburst

Personally, I have only seen the burst finishes on a 55-02 Deluxe and haven't seen a natural in the shops in the UK?
  13. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    Thanks for all the input guys....Keep it comin.
    I've been leaning toward the SB myself, but I've always liked the look of a natural finish too. Man this is a hard decision.

14. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    There is something about "sunburst" that says, "Classic", "Old School", "Bad Ass, bass player"... IMO ;)
  15. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Must Have Maple!!! :(
    maple boards rule...

Other than that, both are lovely.

Probably natural for me though.
  16. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Weird . . .I would have been sure that my own impression of burst finishes as being kind of old-fashioned and geeky looking would have been borne out by the results of this poll. I definitely would prefer the natural finish.

It also seems really strange to me to ask the opinion of a bunch of strangers as to what color to choose on my next bass.

But that's just my opinion.
  17. safebuster

Sep 5, 2000
    NY, NY
    I have a 55-02 deluxe cherry its BEAUTIFUL! and I also have a fretless 44-02 its beautiful too! ..... my opinion.... get 2! :D
  18. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    old fasioned and geeky lookin....comin from a guy with a Steinberger in his Avatar. Holy 80's ;) just kiddin. Geddy was one of my idols back then...Didn't he play that "bass"on the grace under pressure tour.

well it's a decision between two colors that i like a lot and I can't decide. Sure I could have flipped a coin but I thought posting a poll would be a little more fun. Not strange to me. :D