1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What color sounds best to you?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by James Collins, Nov 28, 2018.

1. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I thought this was going to be about synesthesia, in which case I like to attain darker colors like purple or black.

But it wasn't, so I got nothing. However, I like red, it makes me able to play faster.

3. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I’ve always like the sound of off-white guitars. I’m also disappointed this thread is not about synesthesia.

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    :rollno: Some people :rollno:

Everyone knows that the sound is in the tort pickguard.

5. Bobro

Bobro

Feb 22, 2018
    Maribor, Slovnia
    Dark green is the best color for the transduction of Guarnerius waves! Not 100% joking on this one. Obviously colors affect your psychological states/moods, and your psychological states and moods affect the way things sound. So red guitars might actually play faster, in a mind over matter kind of way.

And dark green does have a warm and comforting effect on me, so it is true that it "transduces Guarnerius waves", insofar as it makes everything more "warm, "analog", and emotional" sounding. I do play better in my dark green shirt than in a black t-shirt, that is sure.

Lately I've been jonesing for a candy-apple red BC Rich Warlock guitar- my guitar playing needs more speed, and the psychological effect of the classic hot rod color, combined with the classic metal/lightning fast arpeggios Warlock shape will certainly work together on making me practice speed drills more. At least the ultra Metal look of thing will shame me into practicing for speed more.

When mixing and working on tone, I like to shoot for the more copper/brass/antique mahagony region of things, but that's about synaesthesia, so, for another thread.

Son of Wobble and rtav like this.
  6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Three-color sunburst sounds good.

pablomago likes this.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Black, as in "none more."

8. BLACK on BLACK. Cadillacs, Harley Davidsons, and guitars sound their best BLACK ! (see my avatar! )
    seriously, people say wood makes the difference, the paint is about 1/16" thick, that affects vibration & resonance of any wood. A natural satin finish in theory should sound the best

saabfender likes this.
  9. That explains a lot about the smashing Pumpkins sound...

groooooove and J_Bass like this.
  10. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    There's a great quote from Sharon Osbourne regarding Billy Corgan. She described him as a "baldy **** in a dress" (and I can't wait to see what the censor filter changes that to)

mikewalker likes this.
  11. Flying B

Flying B

Apr 29, 2018
    What's the best colour for metal though?

J_Bass and jackn1202 like this.
  12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Billy's been huffing paint fumes again.

Helix likes this.
  13. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    BROWN

14. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Now we have to factor in another huge variable in bass tone, and of course more possibilities:

How does swamp ash / seafoam green sound compared with basswood / hunter green? Is black really the best color for heavy metal bass, or are metal players compromising their heaviosity by not using pastel colors? Do burst finishes sound deeper than single color basses? What if I have my bass refinished and the color muddies my tone?

And will the blue finish on a maple neck sound as bright as a natural poly / maple neck or will it bring out the low end with greater clarity? Can I try another color to help with dead spots on the fingerboard?

How do brighly painted headstocks sound compared to darker colored ones? Will red give more sustain? How do different color headstocks affect neck dive? If Rotosound swing bass strings switched from red to something like purple silk, will my strings go dead faster?

And then there’s the inevitable questions about the way waterslide decals affect punch and upper-mid response, how they interact with the finish and the tonewood to produce ample pocket mojo, and whether or not my strap is generating bad vibes by not matching the bass.

Pardon me, I need to do something productive like stab myself in the face.

JRA, Mr_Moo, klokker and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    JRA likes this.
  16. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
  17. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    What color sounds best to me?

Purple......Deep Purple!

18. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    I like my basses naked.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Billy's having a goof. Obviously. He got three of them and the white one sounded best to him, so he turned it into a joke. He's really into pro wrestling, and in their talk, that's what's known as a "work."

Son of Wobble likes this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

This.