what combo 2 get? so confused...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Duff_Man182, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    ok since my birthday and christmas is coming up i'm getting some major mula. so i'm gonna upgrade 2 a better combo amp. so i have around 500 dollars to spend. i was thinking either an Ampeg B100R an Ampeg BA115 or an SWR LA-15.....i've always loved the sound of a good Ampeg but i've been recently looking into SWR. i use a pick almost 100% of the time so i want something that'll give me a nice pick sound. thanks in advance...
  2. I just recieved my Nemesis 210 combo from Bass North West for 550 +shipping. I love this thing its rated at 225 watts and it pounds. Its probably one of the best combos for the price. I really haven't had much experience with SWR or Ampeg. Check out bass players combo shoot-out at www.bassplayer.com that should help
  3. Hey Man,
    I'd look into the hartke kickback 15, no joke this amp has a great bang for the buck, and a very clean 120 watts of power one of the cleanest sounding combos i've heard
  4. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    I love the B-100R. I prefer it (slightly) over the BA-115, but that's a nice combo, too. I haven't tried the LA-15, so I can't comment. The B-100R has a surprising amount of volume and that trademark Ampeg tone in a cool retro cabinet. Hard to beat for the price.
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I would contest that the 120 watts from the kickback doesn't do the 15" justice. I'd go with the 12" model. IMHO.

On the other hand, depending on how major the mulah, the Eden Metro is solid. A whole different league of amps from the Hartke though.
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    as always i highly recommend the ampeg b 100r. the best for me. well suited for rock and a lot more volume output than the others.
  7. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    For $500 you can´t go wrong with the ampeg BR100, as the other guys said.
    Also I´d tried the Hartke Kickback15 and it´s a good choice too.
  8. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    get a hughes and kettner bassforce xl or xxl (100w difference) they handle very well in a band situation and i personally they sound great but they arnt the easist things to find nor are they cheap
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Funny, those are the three combo amps I currently recommend. Can't go wrong with any of them.

I have a B-100R and I love it. The BA-115 adds RCA ins, a tweeter and an XLR out. The LA-15 surprised me, big smooth sound, none of the harshness that I didn't like about the WM series. It has a tweeter, simple (and functional) tone controls and works well. IMO the B-100R has nice highs without needing a tweeter.

Pick one;)
  10. robot

Feb 29, 2000
    Jacksonville, FL

With nearly $500 in the bank for the purpose of buying a bass combo, I would second Funkdified's suggestion for the Nemesis as an exciting option.

I have a Nemesis NC200 1x12 which is lightweight, reaches great bass tone (from bebop jazz, BBKing-blues, U2, to ?), and it seems to have taken some serious abuse from a previous owner without effect to its operation. I think the tough thing about the Nemesis is finding one, other than the 'NEt, to actually play and hear it for yourself.

I would suggest checking Bass Player's site for their combo reviews for further info.

11. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with the Nemesis. I just brought home their 4X10 from BassNorthwest and absolutely love it. It is very loud and fat - hi-fi sounding, too. My bass requires no EQ when running through this combo - I set the enhance knob at around 1:00 and leave everything else flat. The 2X10 is smaller and less expensive than the 4X10 (obviously) - that was my second choice. I upgraded from the Ampeg B50R (which is an awesome amp), because it lacked overall volume. I looked at the B100R during my search and I think the Nemesis blew it away. IMHO
  12. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    definitely nemesis. also, musician's friend currently has the GK 400rb/112 combo on sale for 499. that's a good deal.
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'll second the vote for the G-K combo, and I'll also suggest the Peavey Combo 115. 210 watts w/o an extension cab, 300 watts with an extension cab (the peavey combo 115)...

Their combos sound really good, IMO.
    And, it'll help you start for a stack type amp.

What I did was use the Peavey 210TX and then I got a 410TXF cab to add on to it, then eventually just bought a head, then replaced that head with a Peavey Firebass II 700, then eventually got my 115BXBW...

(Meaning: Now I have a 700 watt rig, with a 1x15 and a 4x10...)
  14. find a used carvin red eye
  15. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Check out the Ashdown Electric Blue.
    Excellent combo amp.
  16. Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    i'm leaning toward the side of the B100R but also considering the GK one...
  17. robot

Feb 29, 2000
    Jacksonville, FL

I have a helpful suggestion for you when plugging
    in to the amp of your choice to hear it for the first time:Set all the controls to flat or even, so you can hear the basic uncolored tone of the amp. It would be at that point, going from amp to amp, you could build your own reference.

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The Fender Bassman 100 is a nice combo,and I think its around $450-$475.I spent a little more and wound up with the Bassman 200,and Im happy with it.Got a good deal on it,imo(paid $550 new).
  19. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Get the GK 400RBIII combo!
  20. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i like the strawberry blonde and the california blonde a lot.