1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what combo do I want?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brake, Nov 20, 2006.

1. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Alright, well, I'm looking for a new combo... I know I want a 1x15, but that's it. The wattage doesnt matter as long as it's not too low.

What I need:

1x15
    Easily portable
    Extension cab output

What I dont need:

Built-in FX
    Features that are useless to me (crossovers, etc)

I've been looking at Markbass but I'm hesitant to spend a mint.

2. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Also, FWIW, I'll need this to be pretty versatile. I play jazz/funk/rock

3. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    a used SWR workingman 15 might dothe trick. tight lows for a 15, loud, relatively light

4. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I have a mid/late '80s Peavey TNT130.

I always pipe up about it on here when someone asks about a good 15" combo. I have a SWR WM12-- have not played a WM15, but the SWR WM12 is so smoked by the big ol' peavey that I would think that the WM15 would still lose out.

Peaveys of this era are uber rock solid, loud, have a good built in compressor that really lets you max out your volume w/o distortion. Peavey calls this "DDT."

The model I have has a fully parametric midrange, and a crossover with a hi-out and a lo-out, meaning you can use it as a bass powerhouse and run your treble thru another amp/cab, or find yerself a big fat power amp and run the low out for a huge sub. It would be hella loud.

some reviews on harmonyctrl :
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Bass+Amp/product/Peavey/TNT+130+115+Combo/10/1

If I had known how to really use all of the options on the thing, I probably would have never pulled the trigger on my Eden set up. It really does most of what the Edens do.

No Tweeter, though-- although I'm not convinced that a tweeter is needed in a live stage setting. Especially if you're looking for that fifteen inch punch.

edit: yes, yes, I know has some things you don't need (crossover)-- but the combo is running at 4 ohms, so no need for the ext. cab. Also, portability and 1x15 doesn't always go together... anyhow, you should be able to get one for $200 usd or less.

Attached Files:

5. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I'm actually using a Peavey TKO 80 right now ;)

6. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    the WM is more modern sounding and has quite a quick 15". and it is loud.

7. Yorkville 1x15 :smug:

8. It might be useful to post what your budget is.
    ...how much is a mint?

For what it's worth, you could try and ashdown Electric Blue or MAG C115-300, or maybe the GK backline 115...good things have been said about both...

9. SWR Basic Black

120 watts (160 w/ extension)
    tube pre
    ~ 50lbs.

You should be able to find one on ebay for around $350 or maybe a little less.

Mike

10. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Good man!

Also, +1 on the basic black suggestion, though. IIRC, there is also a black beauty, which is different.

My newer WM12 looks a little bit cheaply assembled when I peer into the port...

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    You may also want to consider seperates. They are often more portable than a combo. I gave up on finding a good sounding, inexpensive, small, light combo. It just doesn't exist...yet.

12. The Fender Bassman sounds like what you are looking for.

13. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    What's the price point like on the Bassman amps? They seem to have all of the features I want..

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

i like that and the SWR Workingman's 15 idea. Both Great amps.

15. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

+1

To be more specific, you would want the XM200C. Details are at www.yorkville.com

I have this amp, and IMHO it would suit your needs nicely. Good luck :bassist:

16. After being incredibly impressed on hearing the 12" version of the Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout I cannot imagine anything out there that can compare, I have been loaned the said same combo by my friend, I use a Musicman Stingray 5; the 12" version handled the 'B' string with no problem on the two gigs I've used it on, at this moment in time I'm trying to sort out a way of getting one from the US via a friend as the 15" version is around the equivelent to $2850 USD in the UK.

17. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    +100 on the Walkabout Scout.....I got mine almost 2 years ago, and I love the fact that I no longer carry my Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ and a 4x10 cab to most of my gigs........that Scout absolutely rocks, and has no problem with the low B string. Obviously, it's a bit pricey, but like most good things, you absolutely get what you pay for! Check it out, I don't think you will be disappointed.

18. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, if you can afford the Walkabout Scout combo, that's the one to get. I've been using mine almost 3 years now. Incredible amp. With the passive radiator in the cabinet it sounds as big as a 15.

The GK4ooRB comes in a 1-15 combo version and would be less than the Mesa. It's a good amp too. Below that in price, but still sounding very good is the Yorkville Sound XM200C. Yorkvilles are incredible value.

19. In England, the new Bassmans are in the region of £300. The old ones were about £400. Check out E-bay, the prices will be much cheaper second-hand.

The only difference between the two is a tiltback feature on the new one, and slightly more power and features on the old one (I think).

For not much more, you could get an Ashdown MAG combo, which would be my choice.

I'm sure the bassmans are much cheaper in Canada though.

20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Unfortunately these can't drive an extension cabinet, because they deliver full power into a 4 ohm internal speaker. I haven't tried the 250/1x15" Bassman, but was underwhelmed by the 150/1x12" model. In roughly that price range, I'd look at G-K 400RB IV 115; Genz Benz ML200-115 T (if you can find one); Ampeg BA115HP; Peavey; and the Carvin BR 615. The SWR WorkingPro 115 might be good too, but I never liked the previous version.

I'm sure the G-K would be fantastic (I use mostly G-K myself), but the Carvin looks like it might be the deal of the bunch. I used to have a Carvin combo, which had excellent tone, but its 100 watts and 1x10" speaker made it more of a practice amp. I bet this BR 615 would deliver the juice though. The Peaveys sound excellent, but are so big and heavy that I'd just get a decent head/cab instead. In my experience, Ampeg combos sound great too, but have comparatively low volume relative to their power ratings. I suspect that's due to inefficient speakers, because their cabs generally have low sensitivity ratings.