What combo should I buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kendomac, Feb 17, 2006.

1. kendomac

Feb 17, 2006

Im in the market for a high end bass combo. Can anyone please give me some advice on what to buy. I like to slap and pop and will be using a warwick stage one through the combo. Not sure if I should go for a 2x10 or 1x15 speaker. Have around £900 to spend, I really want a portable combo thats sounds great and is easy transport.

Any advice would be a great help.. Im thinking about a GK 1001 2x10 bass combo. I play small pubs and clubs.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't know how easily available they are in the UK, nor am I sure what the cost would be (though it should be well within your budget), but you might include this among the options you consider:

Disclaimer: I haven't heard this combo myself, but I have heard a lot of good commentary on it. I do however, own a Carvin head (the B1500) that's from the same "family" as the amp used in this combo, and I think it's a really excellent amp--one I *personally* prefer to any G-K I've ever played. So I'd expect the BRX212 combo to be quite good too. Of course, mileage will vary.

For some comments on the B1500 head, which should also hold true to a large degree for the B800 amp built into the BRX212 combo, see SMASH's recent thread:

3. I have an Eden Metro DC-210XLT combo. It's a great amp all around. My only complaint is that it's a bit heavy. With casters, it's easy to move around - I just hate moving it up and down the flight of stairs to get to my apartment. However, tonally, it's warm with a round low-end, possibly not what you're looking for if you'll be doing a lot of slapping and popping.

If you like to slap and pop (and do it often), I'd suggest an SWR Super Redhead or, even more than that, a Peavey BAM210. The BAM210 can get a sound nearly identical to the Super Redhead - and it can get a whole world of tones in addition to it. It's crazy-versatile and sounds great on its own. I have no idea how prices are in the UK, but keep an eye out for one (possibly used, you can get a great deal on them if you go used).

I've spent a decent bit of time with a friend's GK 700RB-210 combo and while it wasn't bad, I didn't think it was anything special. But that's just my opinion, really. If I was in the market for a 210 combo, I'd either go for the Metro or the BAM. My tonal tastes are different than yours (I think), hence the Metro, but the BAM can do 'em all.
  4. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    The GK1001 is a fantastic head! Lots of features, great tone and lots of power. I personally prefer the sound of 2x10's than 1x15. You will get more punch from the 10's and it won't sound as "fluffy" as the 15. 2x10's would probably be more suitable if you play a lot of slap/pop stuff. Hope this helps!
  5. I'm partial to the Yorkville XS400 combo. The one I had was a 1x15. They make a 2x10 (xs400T) version as well, but I haven't tried that one. I liked it so much that when I upgraded I got the xs800 head.
  6. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    For the style you like, I'd get the Eden 4-10 combo.
  7. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

If you can find one and can afford it, an EBS Gorm 2-10" absolutly KILLS for slap & pop, and just about everything else.

8. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Kendomac, whats your budget??
  9. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
  10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Many good choices

check the Mesa Walkabout, Eden combos and the Ampeg 200 watt combo looks interesting..