what combo to buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. BassmanPT, Mar 7, 2010.

1. SWR LA12

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. HARTKE A-100S LTD EDITION

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. GALLIEN KRUEGER MB112

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  4. EDEN NEMESIS N11

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. other. why?

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    my small marshall B65 that i have to study at home is blown up. i cannot study with the amount of noises it gives me.

so i decided it is time to buy a replacement.

from all of these, what do you think will be my best option? i want the combo to stay at home because i am already happy with the live rig i have for the gigs so i am not looking for power.

SWR LA12 for 298 euros (60Watt)
    HARTKE A-100S LTD EDITION for 348 euros (100Watt)
    GALLIEN KRUEGER MB112 for 292 euros (200Watt)
    EDEN NEMESIS N11 for 298 euros (80Watt)

what do you guys say?

2. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004
    What type of situations will the combo be needed for?

3. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    only to study at home.. just me, the bass and the combo..

studies include practising solo and playing along with my ipod..

60W will be enough although i have looked into those hartkes and GK's with much more power than i need. i listed them anyway because i heard good things about them..

my main rig is from hartke and i am happy with it but i cannot use it at home because that is the gig equipment and i do not want to keep carrying it everytime i go out to gig... the marshall i have at home is just too messed up, i prefer to play unplugged.

4. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I'd get a headphone amp.

5. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    never heard of those before. can you please name their advantadges towards traditional combos? prices? models?

but i want to stay traditional here, nothing like a good combo to practice at home :)

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Nothing like picking out your own amp, either. It's really all about which one sounds best to you. Nothing else really matters.

7. i hate username

i hate username

Jan 9, 2006
    I like fender bassmans. Ive got a 250w x10, probably a bit big for what you want but there smaller amps are good to

8. nothumb

nothumb

Sep 20, 2006
    NYC
    i would buy something used off craigslist if it's just for home practice. if it has a relatively similar preamp / tone shape to your live rig that's a bonus, so my advice would be a small used hartke, which i know are easy to find in the US, not sure about where you are.

9. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    i am not looking into sounding awesome, i just want to be able to listen myself..

yes, that is quite a bit lol

i am in Portugal..

EDIT: know what? been looking into bass pre amps and cabinets and i might go with this combination:

177955.jpg
    1338018_800.jpg

you will say this is HUGE when comparing my original post but i realized the price difference is not that big.. well, its like double but what i get is like 4 times more.

here are the specs:

never tried galiien krugger but i know it is very good quality wise. right?

:)

damn gas! TOTAL PRICE = 600 euros without transport and customs

10. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004

I'd consider one for versatility/features, ( especially the training aids.)

http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=290

Even better, that unit doubles as a USB interface so you could plug it into a PC.

If you would have no use for the USB feature maybe look for a used Korg Bass Pandora; ( model PX4D or model PX4B ) or check out a Zoom B1 or a Zoom B2

11. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    I go for the Gallien-Krueger MB212 as it will last you a helluva long time, and you'll need to play outside your bedroom one day. Plus it has more punch than the 112.

12. I have a GK MB210 and it is an amazing combo amp. Light enough to carry with one hand (@33lbs) and loud enough to play with a full band ([email protected] and [email protected])

13. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I love the Ampeg BA115.

They are inexpensive, have the classic Ampeg Tone, The rear ports make it sound louder than 100wts, Easy to dial in what you want, and you can use it small to even Med size clubs going direct...I have used it at smaller clubs and it sounded better in the mix than my main stage amp.

14. PZapdos

PZapdos

Jan 23, 2010
    New Hampshire
    look at the acoustic b50 or b100 or even b200 if you want more power. all very nice options! great for price-to-value.

"low" end markbass are also really nice combos, as are orange.

15. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    been looking at online reviews and the GK backline series amp does not seem to be the best choice.. i will have to think this better.

i didn't understand how this works (korg). what do i do with this equipment? i have read the description in the site you provided and didn't undesrtand how can i use this to play along my ipod for example. it has nice features but that one i really need.

that one is in my wishlist in the thomann site aswell. but for that price i might go and buy a amp+cabinet. although initially i wasn't aiming to spend that much money, 300 euros tops.

yes, i bet it is nice. from the look of it i can tell it can't go wrong with that combo.

i have taken a look in the ampegs and some models are also in my wishlist. but they are expensive!:bawl:

same for the markbass.. expensive :bawl:

thanks for pointing those models mate. i will make my decision in the next few days as i need to practice at home.

regards to all of you

16. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    been looking into the korg effects thingy in youtube.

that thing got me thinking! i am not into digital sound at all but this gives me lots of possibilities as i am also looking into drum loops and recording software.

can anyone tell me if i can hook my ipod to this device and then use my sound system to listen to both the ipod music and my playing?? my only problem is where am i going to plug the output?

17. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004

That unit can be used as an effects box, headphone amp and a USB interface.

Shouldn't have any prob running a line out to an external amplification source instead of using headphones as the unit can also be used as a "regular" effects pedal that could be fed into an amp.

18. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    ok, i am set. will buy this toy.

and i will use it exclusively with headphones then! i have a sony walkman with 8Gb and i decided i will use it exclusively with the korg and leave the ipod connected to my soundsystem. that way, the ipod stays my regular audio source for music listening and the walkman as my practice audio source together with the korg.

do you want to suggest some particular headphones? thomann has a bundle in this unit, what do you guys think?

http://www.thomann.de/pt/korg_px5d_bundle.htm

are those headphones ok? i do not want to spend more than 400 euros.

19. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004
    Those phones get good reviews for their price range. I'd be sketchy about toting them anywhere unless handled carefully; but if they are just for your living space, they should be just fine.

Be sure to post a review of the unit after youve had a chance to play with it for a while. ;)

Enjoy! :bassist:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021