Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what combo??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tyburn, Feb 15, 2001.

1. ok,, so i asked about amps,, got some very good advice now i really could do with advice about different combos in the 200-300w range or even the 100-300 as long as the lower w'age is powerful enough

what do u own in this sort of area, price, tone, volume

i play anything from rock pop, lounge, slap and so on

whatever i can and try to play

to give u an idea, i've got my eye on an trace elliot combo,, it would be good if it also had an extension socket

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I would recommand my personnal choice :
    Warwick CCL : 15" + Horn, 250W RMS. Some nice EQing features.
    Nice handle of the low B of my 5.
    A lot of punch and the horn is VERY effective for slapping/popping.
    I've not gigged with it yet but I rehearse with it (with a loud drummer and guitarist).
    It feeds my needs. Two drawbacks :
    - no ext. cab output.
    - can get a little mudy when playing low arpegios with the "Bass Boost" On (which I don't use).
    It exists also in a 2*10" version.
    http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/amps06.htm
    http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/amps09.htm

In the same range, I tried a 7210H Trace Elliot Combo (2*10" + extension cab output). It was nice, more powerfull but too expensive, and had less variety of sound, IMHO.

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Check out the Peavey Combo 115 and the Combo 210TX. Both put out about 200 watts (300 with a 4-ohm extension cab). Nice features and functions for the price. Sound good. Built like a brick outhouse.

I had the Combo 115 for a few years and really liked it. They also have pretty good resale -- most stores turn them over pretty fast, so when you eventually trade up (as we always do) you shouldn't have any trouble getting rid of it. I traded mine and I think it was gone within a couple weeks.

4. I love my M/B Buster 200, it has a single 15" and a horn, all tube... I get abused every time I mention this amp but it's mine and I'm happy... The biggest drawback is the price $1300.00 new..I think they are discontinuing it this year also, so it will be more possibly... O.K. let the lashing begin....Check it out at
    www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Power/Buster_Bass_200/buster_bass_200.html

I really have nothing but good to say about my amp you can play all sorts of stuff on it and it won't crap out...

5. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I am really happy with my Nemesis 2-10 combo. It's got 225 watts, an additional speaker out, a great XLR out, effects loop, tuner out, three band eq + one band parametric, headphone jack, and pretty great tone, a very light compressor, and weighs in at 47 lbs!!! It is IMO the most bang for the buck in combo's. I have had mine for almost a year now and I love it. Also, I call Eden and get to talk to a person to answer my questions. BTW...people are going to say the combo says 200 watts, and it does, but the people at Eden always correct me and tell me it is actually 225 watts. I got mine from riksmusic.com, the price there is $589.95 including shipping and handling. This is definitely a combo worth looking in to for a clean tone and decent tone shaping ability.

cam

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hey Christos! Anybody wanna' give ya' a lashin', I got your back :D .
    I've got the Buster (head only) and run it through of all things an
    SWR Big Ben (18" sooper-fast BagEnd driver). Let's hit that note 92 cents
    below low Eb (the "brown sound") and see who has the last laugh :p .

I saw a Buster head at the local G/C just a couple days ago for $999 :eek: .
    I don't think they know it's been discontinued.

(FYI: for those in the DFW area, it's the G/C at Parker & Central in Plano)

7. jwoertz

jwoertz

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    Take a look at the Roland DB-700 combo amp. It's got a 15 and a horn, 250 watts, casters, side handles, 3 amp models, chorus, compression, and 4 memory settings! I got mine for $750.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, since you didn't mention that price was an object, I'll go for the obvious: Eden Metro or SWR Super Redhead. You won't do much better than this, unless you go for EA cabs with an i-Amp head in the slot. Also, you might try the Eden CXC stuff. I've played a 1510, and it was very clean and loud. OK, good-bye.

9. well, no i didn't but the basic feel and intent of the the tread was to , well get an idea of the options, thanks for the input

i've played all the Ea and the eden cabs stuff, on very, very expensive basses,, problem is i was too busy trying to keep my jaw shut and look cool

playing a £2000 bass, on an amp costing about the sames! i challenge anyone not to be remotley excited,, i'm still thinking about it and it was 2 months ago,

bruce will know the ones i'm talking aboot,, up north

10. I had to think long and hard, between Buster and the SWR Redhead, it was a tough call...... I went with Buster because I liked it a wee bit better, probably because I like 15"s better, and 18's even better than that.......Notduane, your system must be insane.... I am really impressed.....

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    It's pretty sweet :) . Just load the dogs up with cheese,
    crack a window to equalize the pressure, and start wailin' :p .

A looong time ago, I remember seein' a 30 inch Electro-Voice.
    A 700 watt, all-tube, London Power "Spectrum" ...hmmmmm :rolleyes:

12. Even though I am moing to sell my Peavey Combo 115 to a friend, it is a very nice amp. It has mostly all of the features you need, although only the newest model has a XLR out. Hooked up to my Ampeg 410hlf it is pretty loud, my neighbors hear me playing in their house and even over our snowblower! The E.Q. helps to shape your sound, and its is pretty sturdy. The only thing I wish mine had was casters on it. HAHAHAHAHA!

13. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I think they've been discontinued,but if you can find a used (I did) or NOS one,the Ampeg B248 is cool.200w @8 ohms into 4 8" drivers plus adjustable tweeter,and one very cool feature is that when an extension cab is hooked up the thing goes up to 350w @4 ohms unlike a lot of combos which only go up 50-75w @ 4 ohms.I can't wait to hear mine with my Bag end S15D at the next gig.