Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What comes closest to a Bassman 400 Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RichBriere, Apr 21, 2003.

1. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I currently have a Bassman 400 Combo which I TRULY believe is one of the finest bass amps out there. :) I am, however, looking to trade it/sell it for something else. (See my ad in the classifieds for details). Your "INFORMED" thoughts on what comes close would be appreciated. I'm mainly interested in small, potent, similarly-powered combo amps that I might not be aware of......."FROM SMALL BUILDERS/COMPANIES". It's main function would be for gigs where my 60 watt Sunn 200S is too much for the room OR too big for the vehicle I'm using to get to the gig. The ability to handle a five string MTD, CLEANLY, is crucial. Thanks!
    Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

:D

2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I would say the Peavey BAM 210 is one of the finest 210 combos available.

Although, my curiosity is piqued.... If the Bassman is such a great amp why are you looking to sell it?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    most companies make a good 210 combo. Peavey is good price for good sound. GK is clean and punchy, SWR is fat and mean. Just Try them out, but I really wouldn't reccoment getting rid of the Bassman 400! It's great. Especially with the parametric EQ. :bassist:

4. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Thanks Farley. I'm looking for something from a SMALL company though. I've never--with all due respect--been a fan of Peavey amps. Now, I'm not looking to start any wars here.........I'd just like to climb up the ladder a bit further. I heard something about an iamp? Are you , or anyone else, familiar with that? Thanks again Farley. I appreciate your suggestion. :)

RB

TMO---as I said above, I love the Bassman 400 and honestly feel that it's a KILLER amp..........but life's short and there are soooo many wonderful amps to try. :D

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    look for an old traynor. Check in vintage guitar magazine. They always have a lot of boutique amps, and other cool stuff. It'd be a great place to look for smaller companies making amps.

6. These are some choices to check out. I will offer no opinion on these as I have not used them in the real owrld (and I play 4's only). Also, price was not mentioned, so I ignored that criteria :D:
    (remember that the Bassman is 350w@4 ohms which equates to +/- 200w@8 ohms)
    Genz-benz ML 200 link

ashdown ABM C210H-300
    Link

Euphonic Audio iAMP 350
    Link

I hope this helps.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Try that BAM 210 and I've got felling that your feelings about Peavey might just be different. ;) It's a combo that's high on the ladder IMO. I think that you would probably feel better about most of Peavey's recent amps. Genz Benz makes some nice combos but none of them are as powerful as the Bassman 400. You could do this......

[​IMG]

into one of their convertible combo for results like the following.

[​IMG]