1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What commonly available env filter am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Jul 21, 2007.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Digitech BSW has the right sound for me 90% of the time and I am really very happy with it (it's my 2nd one).

BUT...

I want to be able to adjust the speed of the quack from "QUACK!" to "quuuuuuaaaaaaaack..." with all other settings in between.

Know what I'm saying?

I think that is called the speed or rate. I dunno, the different makers all call them different things.

So which readily available filter do I want. "readily available" is important in case I want to return it.

Thanks!

2. EHX Q-tron comes to mind. Any size or variation.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Mini does this? It would be perfectly sized.

Which knob adjusts the speed?

4. after reading the manual i'm led to believe that a low Q value would mean long deep dub like bwwwwaaaaaaahh sounds and a mid-high Q value would be more like a Bootsyesque or Auto-Wah sound.

I had the Q-Tron+ and honestly the Speed option wasn't very useful IMO. It was noticeable, but not very different. Like going from Slow to Medium speeds, not Fast to Slow.

Are you sure your looking for different speeds, or for different times of the filter opening and closing?

5. just noticed this in another thread. it should answer all your problems.

[​IMG]

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yeah, bwaaaaah I guess (heh). I want it to be able to go from BWAH to buuuuwwwaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.... Is that the time of the filter opening and closing?

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    WTH? When did THAT come out?

8. ooooooooh, GAAAAAAAAAAAS.

:D

9. Oh no...
    Not again...
    :rollno:
    GAS
    :rolleyes:

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Okay, someone throw a link up....

11. That looks like it only has fast or slow settings. The only envelope I know of with full attack and decay controls is the Lovetone Meatball. The Chunk 00funk pedal has a knob that sets the speed of the filter's sweep. It seems odd to me that more envelope filters don't have better control over this parameter, as it's the one I would most want to mess with.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    SF, I think the Frostwave has it also but it's not easy to return if I end up not liking it :meh:

The Chunk seems to get mixed reviews. Perhaps I should order and see for myself (How are Tone Factor and Pedalgeek with returns anyways?:smug: )

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Have you ever tried a Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah? I know that it can do what you need but it also gets mixed reviews. I liked mine when I had it, though. Good luck.

14. I've heard good sound clips of the Frostwave, but people seem to think it's a bit trickier to keep dialed in and is better for studio use than live. I think that one has a pretty broad range of tones availible though. You can push the resonance of the filter into self-occillation, which you may or may not find desirable. The Chunk sounds really good to my ears and was really dynamic when I got a chance to try it out. It has a side chain trigger as well and can cop some great synth tones when you run stuff though it's effects loop. I'm probably going to hold out for the Lovetone myself, as the attack and decay controls seem like exactly what I'm looking for.

15. The EHX BMS will get you where you want.

16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    WOW! EHX is on a roll!

That brings up my hopes about re-issuing other large pedals! :D

17. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004

DAMN YOU EHX EVIL GENIUSES!!!!

BASTARDS BASTARDS BASTARDS.........

:cool:

18. yeah man i love all these smaller pedals. now they just need to improve QC.

19. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    The normal QTron might get you what you want, but if you are interested in it, you might as well wait for this new QTron+ to come out and see if it sounds the same.

but with the normal qtron, adjusting the gain control will get you different lengths of wah. Its not a speed control, but how it works is because it responds to your playing level, if you have the gain control slightly higher than normal (for your bass) it will take longer for the fliter to close on held notes because it will take longer for you bass to reach that level of volume necessary for the filter to close. Now if you have it slightly lower than that, your note will decay past the volume level needed for closure faster

That is one way you can change the length... but it might not have large enough of a range

another way you could improve the length of the filter is to put an OD before the autowah so it holds the note at higher levels longer, this could also work with a compressor/sustainer before it

20. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've got a 00Funk Mk. 1. I am probably one of the few people who likes it, but I have to say that it is really REALLY hard to dial in the correct sounds changing from up drive to down drive. After about a month now of learning how to tweak this thing, I can get some really slurpy sounds or something really mellow in down drive; and anything from an auto-wah to a quack to a stuttered shimmery vowel-like sound in up drive. My only problem with this pedal is that the knobs are really easy to turn, which can make it kind of annoying having to set it back up every time that you set up somewhere if you are not using a pedalboard. I'm going to find some way to solve this problem sometime in the near future. I am not sure if they remedied this problem in the Mk. 2, but it is something to be aware of. One very cool feature about the Mk. 1 is that it is one of the very few Envelope Filters that has a volume knob giving you anywhere from -15db to +15db of cut or boost on effected and un-effected signal. Quite handy! :D

I also have a QTron which is much easier to set up between up and down drive settings, just kind of annoying having to reach down to flick a switch on the top of the box. As posted below, there are a lot of things that you can do to tweak the gain control to make the sounds that you might be looking for.

To my ears, this works in practice with down drive mode, but with up drive mode it does not make the envelope open or close according to your playing. At least with my QTron, the gain knob in up drive varies how much the envelope is opened or closed before playing. All the way down, and you are playing mud through your speakers. All the way up, and you have an old cat fight going on in your amp (lots of hisssssssss). Useful settings for me were at about 6:00-9:00 but this was through a passive MIM Fender J. As always, YMMV greatly with your equipment and play style. That's the beauty of Envelope Filters, no two people can play them exactly the same, even at similar settings. :D