1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What compares to the Berg NV610?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by walknbluez, Aug 23, 2012.

1. I've been looking to upgrade from my Avatar 212 which is ported. I feel like it's not punchy enough and not tight enough. I have a Peavey VB-2 tube amp and have read how it pairs great with the Berg NV610 which is sealed. An opportunity to buy these locally don't come up too often and so until it does again, I'm wondering what would be a good next step up along the lines of what I'm looking for. An Ampeg sealed 410? Eden 410XLT? Something different? At the same time, I'm second guessing myself in terms of thinking of going to a sealed cabinet because on the really low notes I do want some width. Can you give me some options of some roads I can possibly go down?

2. Anyone? Bueller? Help a bass brother out?

3. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    The berg nv610 is amazing, I would say a ampeg 8x10 or ampeg 410he, would get you there. They both are tight and punchy. Not super dubby but bassy enough for most applications.

4. Huh, from what I've heard? Another Berg NV610.

5. randyg

randyg

Jul 10, 2010
    Creedmoor N.C.
    I know it's ported and not sealed , but I use a VB-2 with a 6-10 Ampeg cabinet and it sounds great. I also have a 4-10 Avatar which sounds quite good also , but the Ampeg sounds huge compared to the Avatar. Lots of punch and very loud. The Ampegs also pop up used quite often , got mine for $450.00 in great shape. It's a 2005 I think , one of the last USA years.

6. Berg NV412 :p
    These & NV610's do come up for sale regularly. I often wish I was in the US when I see a NV cab in the classifieds.

The NV412 seems to go a li'l lower & Li'l higher, but still punches. I like it better than the 610, but ymmv...

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I used to have a Peavey VB-2 and I brought it over to a friend's house to pair it with his NV610 and it did match very well. Sounded great together. Go for it.

8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have an NV412 and like it better than the NV610 as well. Just felt more even and balanced to me against the 610s more mid punch. I really like Ampeg 810s too, of you like having the Ampeg color to your sound (which I do at times). The NV series cabs are more transparent to my ears. If you are looking for sealed cabs, they are hard to beat!

9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've been gigging my NV610 since 2006 and searching for a smaller/lighter alternative for the small-room gigs when this cab is overkill.

So far I've found other cabs I kinda liked, but nothing that truly gave me that same magical quality of feel and tone in a smaller package.

I'm looking forward to possibly trying out one of the Fearfull models on stage with my band at an upcoming talkbass GTG were having here in Arizona in a couple weeks. I havent seen this much hype for a cab design here on T/B since the NV610, so I'm really hoping one of their models will fit the bill for me :cool:

10. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    IMHO, there is nothing that really matches up with the NV610 - the Ampeg stuff sounds really different to me.

The NV610 is a currently manufactured cab - if you need to, you could buy a new one. Last time I was in Bass San Diego, they had one in stock.

Dan K.

11. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Might be just because it's new to me, but I am currently gigging my Fender Neo 610 ahead of the Berg 610. I do like the bling factor of the Fender, but in a side by side comparison I could eq it to sound pretty much (and I do mean damn near) the same as the Berg. I never thought I would say that about another cab, alhtough the Fender is just a tad bigger than the Berg too.

12. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    To sorta backup the post above, I have used my Fender 610Pro at a couple of gigs, and it has provided a punchy, cutting tone that is less hifi than my Aggie cabs. FYI, I went from an Avatar 212 to the Aggie 212. That in itself was an eye opening change for the better also.

13. walkerci

walkerci

Mar 7, 2006
    Orlando, FLA
    I tried the Berg AE410, NV412, NV610, and NV215 before going with the NV412.

Slightly deeper lows and slightly warmer sounding.

I used a MusicMan Stingray 5 and Eden WT800B for all tests.
    No effects. Same EQ settings.

14. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    If you can find a used Bergantino HS410, that would be the way to go, other than that I would find a Bergantino Dealer and buy brand new NV610 even if it's online and have them ship it to you.
    You really can't go wrong.

15. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    Aguilar GS 412 might fit your bill. Huge sounding, punchy, and fat as you like.
    BagEnd Q10BX-D also may be a good choice. Incredible sound and serious volume.

Neither is sealed, but will give you great punch and fatness.

16. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I have a NV610 and the HS 410 and have compared them side by side and the HS410 sounds very similar to the NV610 when you turn the tweeter/horn off ... I've used the Tone Hammer 500, an SVT II Pro, a Traynor YBA-3, and a Fender Bassman 1200 Pro, and a ThunderFunk 550-B to draw my conclusions on the type of tone/sound

17. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Banned

Jan 22, 2011
    Mass
    Berg NV425!

18. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Never thought I would ever post this, but I have just sold my Berg 610 and am just sticking with the Fender Neo 610 as my 610 cab. Having owned both together for a while I have gigged them both and just keep coming back to the fact that the Fender is lighter, can do the Berg sound and is I think a little more versatile. Of course, I have kept my Berg NV215 - best cab of all time IMO.

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd try out the Audiokinesis lines myself. Pretty sure that Hathor 1544 will compete pretty favorably with the Berg NV610.