Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHAT COMPRESSOR ARE U USING

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MODNY, Feb 8, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    looking to hear what kinda of rack mounted compressor unit u guys may be using

i want all input

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I went with the EBS pedal, have used both DBX and the allesis (rack mount). The other one I've heard raves about is the demeter.

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    dbx 163x...all i need and does a fine job

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    guyatone bottom limiter. kicks ass. love it, cant say enough.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I started using a demeter compulator. It's very smooth. I also use the EBS compressor. I've tried a few of the rackmount units. The only things I have liked have been expensive. List the distressor and a couple of units in the $600 range.

6. I'm running a Behringer MDX 2200 or whatever the 'Composer Pro' is. It's nothing spectacular, but it does the job for now. I'm sure I'll upgrade at some point.

7. John Marat

John Marat Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am very fond of my dbx 160a

jb...

8. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

well lemme see.....
    on the low end of things I have a dbx160 (which I really don't like at all)
    a Joe Meek MC2, which is quite nice really....
    on the higher end...Avalon 737, ManleyVB,Universal Audio LA2A. and 1176LN....all a bit on the expensive side, and all too fragile to gig out with...
    ...of late I have been using a Demeter Compulator (which is a wonderful pedal compressor with a sound not at all unlike the UA LA2A)

Max

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Symetrix 525. Cheap, because of the obsolete VCAs. Sounds great for bass though.

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey - he said "all", so don't be turnin' up your noses!

Boss CS-3.

..So I'm poor - but I wouldn't want to hafta play without it!

Joe

11. Alesis 3630('high-fi'- quit laughing, Munjibunga) & DOD Milk Box(low-fi).

12. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i use a Behringer 2600 mounted in the Super Redhead, but i use a Black Finger on the pedal board for use with guitar and my home bass rig.

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Live, or in the studio?

Those are somewhat different questions.

Live, I've come to the point where I don't use a comp anymore. Once in a great while I'll use the EBS MultiComp with a fretless, but that's usually when my callouses are falling off and people have been buying me beers all night. :)

In the studio, I use a Urei LA-4. That, IMO, is one of the best bass compressors of all time. They can be had for maybe four or five hundred bucks on eBay. Try to get the blackface one, with the transformer output, but the silverface is good too.

Also the SpectraSonics 610 is a pretty amazing studio compressor. Very agressive, and with peak limiting too (kind of like a combination between an LA-4 and an 1176).

The Urei LA-22 isn't bad either.

And the DBX stuff isn't bad either. Different strokes for different folks. The DBX 160/160A/160XT is probably an "industry standard" in terms of live work. I've used those a lot, and they work great, and sound great. They change your sound though, as do all compressors. Lately I've come to the point where the "preservation of dynamics" is more important to me. Of course, when you're in the studio, you know darn well that your stuff is going to end up squished anyway, so it's a whole different story there. Live though, I like to make peoples' pant legs vibrate at fifty yards. :D

14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    PreSonus Blue Max on Fretted Preset 1.

15. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Live Rig: older Behringer Composer MDX 2200.

Studio: Whatever the Tech suggests.
    Manley Variable ELOP
    LA-2A
    EL-8M Distressor or EL7 Fatso
    Focusrite Red
    GM B200
    Avalon AD2044

16. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    i would highly recommend the keeley compressor....ive tried the demeter and the ebs, but there is something about the keeley....it just smokes...check his website for a review on it with bass....

17. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    For my rack I use a presonus eureka, which is nice (has an integrated parametric eq)...it's a subtle compressor, but it doesn a nice job, and there's no noise.

I also use an EBS multicomp for my mobile rig (or when I'm too lazy to bring my rack). It works well, but there's a hell of a lot of hiss -- does anyone else's multicomp hiss way too much?

18. Could anyone tell me what kind of difference I would have if I used a Optical Compressor (say the Alphex Punch Factory) in front of my SWR SM 900 instead of using the on board variable limiter in the amp?

What about the difference between the Punch Factory and all the compressors in the BOSS ME-50B?

I guess I've been gassing for a Punch Factory,... can you tell?

19. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Presonus ACP22... discontinued, but sounds really good so keep your eyes open! :ninja:

20. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135578

See the post by SMASH - so, this problem has been fixed?

My recommendation would be a compressor designed to work with bass from the ground up. I use a Bass Compactor (just for a couple of songs, and mainly just to get extra sustain for some chordal passages) - the tone controls are a 'free extra'.

edit: neither are rack compressors. Oops. :bag:

Mike