1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What cones do I buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Colin.Lush, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Colin.Lush

Colin.Lush

Sep 7, 2008
    I am making my own amp. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on some good cones to get for a moderate price?, I am using a 15w 4ohms pre-amp. Any thoughts?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Fifteen watts? Is this a bass amp or a guitar amp?

3. Colin.Lush

Colin.Lush

Sep 7, 2008
    It's a bass amp. Hence the bass forum lol.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A 15 Watt, 4 ohm preamp?

5. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    You asked for suggestions on what cones to buy - are you referring to speakers?
    Are you building a speaker cabinet, or an amplifier?

If you are building a speaker cabinet, what is the size of the speakers? And how many speakers?

If you are looking for a bass cabinet for a 15 watt amp, I would check ebay or craigslist for a used cabinet with 12 or 15 inch speakers. You can buy a used bass cabinet cheaper than building it yourself. Most 15 watt bass amps have 8 inch speakers in small cabinets - you would not believe how good a 15 watt amp would sound through a bigger cabinet with 12 or 15 inch speakers. On ebay, search for "bass cabinet".

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I don't think you've asked clearly what it is you want. And, I'm glad I'm not alone in my confusion. Please rephrase the question, and add more detail, so someone is able to help.

7. Colin.Lush

Colin.Lush

Sep 7, 2008
    Sorry about that guys it my first time doing this, but I'll give you a background to help explain my problem.

I have a Peavey Max 158 bass amp, it is a small practice amp with a 15watt 4ohms amp in it. I was wondering if it was possible to take that amp part of this combo out (detatching it from the combo speaker, and hooking it up to bigger speakers ( If I made my own cabinet). My plan was to basically take that amp out of the combo and make a case to put it in. Then make a speaker cabinet.

Sorry again this is all a learning process for me, I appreciate all the help, Thanks!

8. Colin.Lush

Colin.Lush

Sep 7, 2008
    I would also like to add that the power going into the amp is 120Vac 60Hz50 watts

9. Personally, I would leave it alone. Its only 15 watts. If you are going to make a cab with "bigger" speakers, or more speakers you are going to need more power than 15 watts to drive them.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1. Best to leave that amp alone. Just save up for a bigger amp later.

11. Colin.Lush

Colin.Lush

Sep 7, 2008
    Cool, thanks guys I'll do just that!

12. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    I would suggest checking ebay or craigslist for a used bass cabinet with 12 or 15 inch speakers. On ebay, search for "bass cabinet".

You can build a speaker cabinet if you want, but you can buy a used bass cabinet cheaper than building it yourself.

Your 15 watt bass amp will sound great through a bigger cabinet with 12 or 15 inch speakers. Plus you can upgrade later by buying a more powerful amplifier and using it with the speaker cabinet.

I would leave your 15 watt amp in its existing cabinet. Just disconnect the output from the internal speaker and connect it to your separate speaker cabinet.