What conklin to get to get??? New GT7 or a Used GTBD7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crazy_Fingers27, Aug 30, 2004.

What should i get?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2004.
  1. A new conklin GT7 ($1100, plus a $200 case)

5 vote(s)
  2. A used conklin GTBD7 ($1300, but with a free case)

34 vote(s)
  1. hello all.

in a thread before i asked wether i should get a GT7 or a Dingwall Afterburner. after discovering that the dingwall was a bit out of my range.

now, to get this new bass, i will be ordering through basscentral. the conklin GT7 and a case, is the exact same price as the GTBD7, but the bill dickens comes with a free case. So both would be the exact same, but i think i would save some money getting the dickens, cuz i think the duties would be less for a used bass.

i am assuming that i fht ebill dickens is selling for only 200 under its regular street price, the bass is obviously in pretty good condition.

so i was just wondering, should i get a new conklin GT7, or go used, and get the GTBD7. thanks.
  2. well, you need to decide if the options that are included on the dickens are worth it to you. it has a more complex preamp, it's neck through, and the spacing at the nut is narrower than the GT-7.

weigh the options and decide from there. i don't think you'll go wrong with either.
  3. thats a good point. i am leaning more towards the dickens, because if i got the GT7, i would be adding a better preamp in a couple of months, and with the BD7, i wont have to.

however, i would still like too know what the rest of you think.
  4. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    I think that you should really get the BD7, because it's made of better parts and it's neckthrough.
  5. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I second the BD-7, especially if there is no price diff.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Yep yep! Dickens, no question IMO.
  7. I actually prefer the look of the GT-7... but I am generally not a fan of visible neckthrough stripes. This is only my opinion. The advice about the preamp is sound.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The GT-BD7, no question.

BTW, I got my BD-7 in mint condition for $800 with a softshell case.
  9. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    how much of a leap is a six string to one of those?
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    About the same as from five to six, I'd bet.
  11. was it ebay???

you wouldnt happen to have any info on where i can find one that cheap?
  12. daychris

Nov 2, 2003
    West Virginia
    It's not a BD model, but I listed my GT-7 in the classifieds last week....I'm flexible on the price. Make me an offer...I just got my Eshenbaugh 7 and I don't need the GT.......Chris
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I got it here on TalkBass from a fellow TB member. I just search the classifieds when I'm looking for something in particular, like bassgear.com, harmonycentral.com, ebay, etc.
  14. Yeah, I've been following the price on them for a few months now and $1300 is a little steep imo. I would say $1000 to 1200 is a more fair deal on a used BD w/ Conklin case.

Maybe it's just me but I've noticed the resale value on them going up over the last 3-4 months. I remember seeing them routinely go for 800-950 on ebay early this year but now it seems like they all go for 1000 or so depending on condition, case, etc.
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Probably due to their growing rarity on the used market.

They can still be purchased brand-new from Musician's Friend for $1499.
  16. How does Conklin's basses compare with the 'big boys' like Roscoe, Fodera, MTD, etc. in terms of quality, workmanship, sound, feels, etc.?
  17. Everyone will have their own preference I guess, but I think most people would agree that Conklin, Roscoe, Fodera and MTD all make extremely high-standard basses at a similar sort of level. Conklin does have a reputation for being willing to try the outlandish.
  18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Are you referring to the Bill Dickens model or the Conklin custom shop basses? The BD models are mass produced Korean basses and although very comparable (or so I've heard) to the custom basses still IMO wouldn't be a fair comparison. However, as an owner of two custom shop 8 strings and having played and/or owned other high-end basses (Modulus, Ken Lawrence, Zon, etc..) I can say from experience that Bill's basses rank right up there with the best of them in every aspect. My 8s have the best necks I've ever played.

Make no mistake... A Conklin custom bass IS one of the 'big boys'!!
  19. thank you all for the help. i think i have finally come up with a conclusion.

$1299 is too much to pay for a used BD7. so as of now i believe i am getting the GT7, that is unless i can find a used BD7 for a reasonable price, or if i can find a used yamaha john patitucci sig, that would probably change my mind.
  20. Have had both and I still have my BD7. A superior bass to the GT7 in all measures.