Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What constitutes a " Good Person" in your book?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 5, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What characteristics or values make up a "Good Person" in your book? for me people who are Compassionate,Honest,Kind,Dedicated,Self-Giving and have Integrity make up some of the qualitys of a "Good Person" for me.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think that there are a lot of characteristics that would make someone a "good person". One of the main ones, in my book, is that the person in question is willing to put others before his or herself. This is not to say that they are a martyr in all things, but are willing to think of the greater good or the good of others before their own comfort and convenience. :)

3. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I think a good person is someone who has respect for others, is kind, generous, and trustworthy.

Vince

4. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

A good person is someone who considers others AND the concequence of every action they take. I also think a good person can break that rule in the right way.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn, one out of four.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    bingo, everything else is just the means by which they do this.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

"Don't do to others what you don't want done to you". Any person that always keeps this wise saying in mind is a great human being, for sure.

8. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    As the previous posts say, someone who tries to live by the golden rule (do unto others...). respecting others, and living with integrity.

As I get older, though, I am thinking that the golden rule casts a wider net than just immediate friends, acquaintances, coworkers, and contacts. it seems to me that the vailidity of the golden rule crosses generations and commitments to the larger world and the future.
    On soapbox:
    A good person needs to act, i think, to help create a better world in whatever means they have, to leave the world a better place...interpersonal kindness and consideration, a commitment to justice, peace, economic justice, a sustainable world economy environment, a respect towrds the natural world from whence we came and where we live.
    Off soapbox :)

9. Meh, I would say someone who always keeps that in mind is AT LEAST only not a bad person. You can have that piece of wisdom, and only care about yourself as long as it doesn't affect others.

I think it boils down to not being self-centered like Superduck says.

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    In a nutshell?

Someone who intends no evil to anyone and is willing to learn.

:D

Joe.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A good person is someone who gives me money.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Er, on second though, scratch that. Lots of "johns" have given me money.

What Lowtone said.

13. MAJOR METAL

Yeah intent is importent.

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    First off, someone who's nice enough to treat others in a normal way,, w/o jamming thier own hang ups down thier throats. Accept & respect, ya know?

Secondly, integrity... we've all been screwed over by friends, for whatever reason... IMHO, anyone wiling to screw over a friend, isnt a good person.

Thirdly, believes in honesty... no matter how uncomfortable the truth may be. ie, if you have, or are gonna screw me over, come talk to me about it....

15. A person who chooses the difficult right over the easy wrong.

16. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

+1 there!

17. rsgars

rsgars

Aug 6, 2003
    NY State
    A good person loves other people.

18. +1

Obviously, there are a ton of different traits that go into making someone a good person, and which characteristics are most important could become a source of some controversy, but I think SuperDuck is about as dead on as one can be. It takes a strong, honest, and compassionate person to put others before his or herself.

19. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    This question is more of less a central theme of every philosophical system -- East or West. Often it is defined in terms of what a 'good' person does NOT do.

Even where there might be universals like compassion, etc., many philosophies require that compassion be subordinate to the needs of the state (Fascism, Communisim) or to the needs of the family and community (Confucianism, some interpretations of Christianity).

There is dangerous latitude for misunderstanding when terms like good, evil, etc. are tossed around without solid definitions and contextual grounding. I generally try to stay out of these discussions (you might then ask why I am posting :meh: )

20. MAJOR METAL

This is a question I have come to think about again recently, feel free to contribute to the discussion.:)