1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Constitutes a Great Rock Bass Player?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by blankstare77, Aug 15, 2007.

1. blankstare77

blankstare77

May 19, 2006
    Is it simply being a solid groove player?

I've been watching what other bassists do and mostly what I see is them showing off. Can I be a successful rock bass player if I simply have a solid groove consistently?

2. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    In my experience, you will get more admiration and calls for gigs if you're a solid groove player. The old saying "less is more" applies very well to playing rock bass IMO.

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Solid groove.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Yep. Rock steady.

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Agreed.

Take a lesson from the Godfather of Soul and STAY ON THE ONE.

Don't get fancy and make all your changes flawlessly. They
    will call you back.

6. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    geezer butler

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bah...what makes a great rock bass player is to play whatever you play with the confidence of knowing what you're doing is the best thing for the song you're performing. If you're into showing off, make sure that your showing off makes the song stronger. If you're into grooving, make sure that your grooves are happening.

8. + Lots.

Having had the good fortune to see both Gerry McAvoy and Colin Hodgkinson this year, that sums them both up - driving it solidly in the pocket all night.

The Hodge showing off is something to behold.

Pete.

9. Woohooo! A Gerry McAvoy fan!! Was he with Nine Below Zero?

I've often thought when seeing him in his favourite, left lean forward stance when with Rory Gallagher, that he might have been mistaken for Status Quo's bassist instead. But that's when he had a bloody big head of hair he could shake around :) But if he was maybe showy in his action, he wasn't in his playing.

He complemented Rory. Always consistent and solid and effortless. And truly an inspiration. He made the bass sound easy, and to me, a true artist of their craft is somebody who should make you feel that what they do is accessible to you, even when it's not that simple. Be that music, or any other skill.

What a great combo they were, with drummer Rod De'ath, who sounds like he should have been from a different genre altogether, and Lou Martin on keyboards.

Walnut

10. Indeed he was with NBZ at the 100 Club. Black pre-EB 'ray & a yuuuuuge Trace stack. Plucked with one finger for most of the set but drove it all along (Brendan O'Neill helped a bit too). To say that the place was jumping would be an understatement - one of those magical nights where the band hypes the audience who hype the band who hype the audience who... & everyone goes home knackered & buzzing.

Pete.

11. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can turn the volume down low and the bass is still musical enough to hold your interest.

12. omeany2

omeany2

Aug 6, 2007
    Austin, TX
    +1

Write parts that embellish the melodies while holding down a strong rhythm.

I always think of the bass guitar as adding tones to the kick drum. I like to lock it up with the kick real tight and mute to keep it clean.

13. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Sublimated ego.
    Great Hair.
    Ampeg SVT.
    Old P Bass.

In that order.
    :D

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Great Post

15. Besides grooving hard, showmanship is second important.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Alip Bob, you're a nice guy and I hate to correct you, but showmanship is always #1.

17. blankstare77

blankstare77

May 19, 2006
    If you're grooving hard, you sure as hell should be putting on a good show. They're both important and both interrelated.

18. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Playing rock bass well.

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Exactly what makes a great bass player in any other genre:

Time
    Taste