Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What constitutes "ultralight" to you when it comes to amps and cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by therealting, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Amp Head: under 10lb

48.1%
  2. Amp Head: under 20lb

33.3%
  3. Amp Head: under 30lb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Amp Head: under 40lb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Amp Head: depends on the power output...

11.1%
  6. Cab: under 20lb

14.8%
  7. Cab: under 30lb

25.9%
  8. Cab: under 40lb

22.2%
  9. Cab: under 50lb

14.8%
  10. Cab: under 60lb

7.4%
  11. Combo: depends on the speaker layout...

7.4%
  12. Combo: under 20lb

7.4%
  13. Combo: under 30lb

11.1%
  14. Combo: under 40lb

14.8%
  15. Combo: under 50lb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Combo: under 60lb

14.8%
  17. Combo: depends on the power output...

7.4%
  18. There are too many options on this poll, I vote Homer Simpson for president

14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I have just started what I hope will become a reference list of existing ultralight amps and cabs, since there has been so much interest in them.

Reference thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2598099

As I started to list them however, I realised that in order to define the scope of what should be on the list, we need some kind of definition for ultralight.

What would be the best way to define ultralight?

For amps: anything under 10lbs? 20lbs? 30lbs?

For cabs: anything under 30lbs? 40lbs? 50lbs? Or should the maximum weight definition depend on the type of cab, speaker configuration? If so, what should they be?

What about combos?

2. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    For heads, I think that "ultralight" should be reserved for amps under 10 lbs...for example - Walter Woods, Markbass, AI, etc. the 10-20 lb range is what I consider "light". There are alot more in this category - Eden, SWR, Thunderfunk, etc.

With cabs, it really depends on the driver configuration...but I think that generally ultralight cabs would have neo speakers and lightweight plywood.

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Damn it, I work in metric! Will have to go find my calculator. The smaller Tech Soundsystems cabs fit the bill perfectly though.

4. 10 lbs is about 4.5kg, 20 lbs is about 9kg.

5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I have high hopes for the series III AI Contra. It's supposed to be less than 20lbs. I'm looking for Accugroove-like sound at low levels in a more compact package. Won't be able to check it out 'til February (snag with the molding process). :meh:

Ken

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

2.2 lbs per kg.

7. My two main rigs are in this category.

Rig #1 is:
    WW Ultra + Epifani UL-110 or UL-112

Rig #2 is:
    AI Clarus II + Epifani UL

I also have a Demeter 201 + Stewart 2.1 setup but that's more in the lightweight to medium-weight range. I think eventually I'll be selling my Clarus and getting a new Focus. Then I'll really have a comparable backup to the WW!

It seems that combos were the last to get the ultralight treatment. I still have an SWR Baby Blue II but that thing is heavy! I wonder what's in store for the next decade of bass technology?

8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    My Clarus/Flite and Focus/Flite rigs have definitely been ultralight. Head under 5 pounds, cab under 20 pounds. There is light, and then there is amazingly light. The Flite gear is amazingly light. I had a stack of two Flite 110's and now I have a single 112. When it fits the gig it is the best darn rig going.