1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Could Bring You Out of "G.A.S. Retirement"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So I have gone a VERY long time without buying music gear at all. For various reasons there was just no point (well, by TB standards maybe lol). So it was going to have to be a good freakin reason to make me purchase anything, and I had PLENTY of good arguments to prevent myself from buying anything, mainly that nothing really piqued my interest that much...until I saw this:

[​IMG]

Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz Bass in my favorite retro color...Daphne Blue. Now you can call me superficial, but I really love the color and to me it just exudes that classy 50's/60's vibe. To me, a bass in that finish makes it completely worth buying (at the right price). However I successfully talked myself out of it, for a while...

1) Nice color, but what about that neck? Gonna drop another $200 on a maple fretboard neck?
    *Not if I just take the one off my punk P-bass, which will look better with dark wood anyways!
    2) Still $349 that you don't have to spend...
    *Need to trade in some unused cabs anyways, plus financing from Guitar Center!
    3) The pickups MAY be good, but what if they aren't? String changes?
    * Those Amazon gift cards just going unused? BINGO! New pickups! Oh and those Labella Deep Talkin' flats we've been sitting on for a year, could probably go on this too.
    4) When's the last time we played a gig?
    * Since when's the last time that mattered?

...It's arriving tomorrow :(

TL;DR: What bass could make you start buying gear again, even if you swore off buying new stuff??

UPDATE: Check out what I thought of the bass after receiving it here!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 10:06 PM
  2. Honestly, I have a few really nice basses but G.A.S. hasn't left me yet. A long wishlist still exists for me.

The only thing preventing me from taking action on the next item is the necessary money. :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    javi_bassist, smogg and hopwheels like this.
  3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007

If I find a significantly better bass.

4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    If i knew what could bring me out of not having G.a.s., then I would likely have g.a.s.

It would be a gigging/recording situation where something comes up that makes me want something i dont have that i need to do something i currently cant.

5. At this point I am out of gas. It would take a really superb bass at a tremendous value to fuel up my tank.

6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    A white Tom Stenback Jazz V bass just like the one Paul Turner plays.

MoeTown1986 and Mili like this.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I’ve needed a new fretless for quite a while as I don’t currently have one, but I wouldn’t call that GAS as it’s something I have a very real use for. Someone that would really get me thinking would be if a Skjold 33” or 32” 6-string with a built in ramp system or Jerzy Drozd Barcelona or Oracle came up. I’ve never tried either but both look very, very appealing to me.

Kubicki Fan and TolerancEJ like this.
  8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Well, if my personal history is any indication, it's what usually put me into GAS in the first place. Things such as:

1. a magazine ad or gear review article
    2. a performing situation where it would be "so cool" to have a particular rig, bass, pedal, etc.
    3. one upping my current musical collaborators. "Oh, you got an vintage '80s superstrat? Well, I just got myself a 7-string superstrat"
    4. sensing that one empty hole that needs to be filled (e.g., Rick, vintage P, American Gretsch Hollowbody, Ampeg B15).

instrumentlevel and DrMole like this.
  9. Jerzy Drozd and Skjold are high in my wishlist.

On an unrelated note, I just wanted to take a moment to say Thanks for your articles in Bass Player magazine. I always enjoy reading them.

MrLenny1 and Bryan R. Tyler like this.
  10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I'd have to hit the lottery jackpot first

Groove Doctor, Winslow and RyanOh like this.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks! I appreciate it.

31HZ and TolerancEJ like this.
  12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Apparently an old beat up piece of cardboard with the word "Bass" scrawled across it is enough for me. :(

metermech, Nashrakh, 4sight and 13 others like this.
  13. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    Rick 4005 reissue

GTHintz, ajkula66, MG Wolf and 2 others like this.
  14. Levitamin

Levitamin

Jan 17, 2009
    A Mustang Bass option in the Fender Mod Shop.

felis and dmt like this.
  15. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    A medium scale Thunderbird (tobacco sunburst) and/or an unlined fretless American Performer Mustang Bass in surf green.

The last basses I bought were a little flurry of 3 basses back in the summer of 2017, and those were to finally get over and done with the two basses I’d been longing for for years, an Am. Stnd. Jazz and an Am. Stnd. Precision (took buying 3 basses to get the two I wanted as I didn’t end up happy with the first bass). Thanks to those two, along with my Mustang, SG and MIM Precision basses, my Bass G.A.S. is largely satiated. I already have more than I need/can play, but if either of the above-mentioned two were to come out, I’d be in

16. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Tacuma and Bireli make their CV Jazz basses sound superb, but are they stock? IDK...
    $200 for a maple board option is legal thievery

after all my GA$$ing it comes down to two of my least expensive basses that take the cake, the Epi Toby and Silvertone LB11, and they did it as used instruments without a setup or string change, just plug in and be amazed. honorable mention to my maple necked beauties, the Ibanez RB-260 and Peavey Zodiac BXP, maybe some others will step up significantly with different strings but for now I'm in no rush with these 4 keepers filling the needs. overall, the ride was worth it cos it soothed my curiosity on a few interests and it was an affordable education, but I could have stopped with the first basses I bought for a combined $500 on that gloriously fateful day long ago, my '65 Fender BASS V and a '72 stripped P with maple fretboard modded to fretless. that was a memorable moment.

now, the only thing driving me insane is how to afford or find a cheaper ancient Gibson EB-0...

17. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

Nothing. I have both the Fender Buttercream Player Jazz bass, and the Hartke HA2500 / 112b amp I like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 9:29 PM
  18. Same here.
    I only play out 1 or 2 times per month. 3 basses is my max.

Glenn Johnson likes this.
  19. I've been gas free for years! Just haven't had the urge to get anything else... with that said, I'd probably feel the gurgles start if I could find a MM Ray for cheap or a RIC that I could actually play. So far I am 0-3 on Ric's!
    Fishheadjoe

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Reading TB or looking at YouTube stirs up more GAS for me than potato salad and baked beans.