1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What cover songs do you worry about playing live

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lowend65, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    was thinking about this earlier. What cover songs “scare” me. I’m not talking about prog-math music, or some metal tune at 400 bpm. Call them normal cover tunes that are tougher than they sound.

Examples:
    *Tell Me Something Good *
    Odd phrasing, Turn the beat around on this one and you are SCREWED

For the holidays
    * Sleigh ride *
    God this is just sadistic on every level. Strange phrasing insane bridge.

HolmeBass likes this.
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    None, because, practice + rehearsal. ;)

I understand the concern though. It means you care about a quality presentation. :thumbsup:

FWIW, I covered Tell me Something Good for years. I played with a great drummer, and we nailed it. :bassist:

HolmeBass, QweziRider, Kmonk and 2 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The ones I sing. :D

And for some reason I always NAIL that cool bass intro to Sweet Child of Mine in rehearsal. And I always miss a note on it live! :banghead: It not even that hard to play!

corndog, 2112, Roxbororob and 13 others like this.
  4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Sweet Home Alabama. Just can't wrap my head around that one.

Rezdog

five7 and MattZilla like this.
  5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Fusion.
    Prog Metal.
    Djent.
    All of them.
    I like complex stuff.
    I don't do "simple"

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    :dead:
    Ha! I feel like I nail this part 9/10 times we play it. Last gig, my guitarist, who swears I miss it 9/10 times, bet me $50 that I’d miss a note or two.

.....I paid up a week later :mad:

Roxbororob, B-Lo, JRA and 2 others like this.
  7. Gordo350

Gordo350

Sep 20, 2018
    Footloose

mrcbass, twc1313, drumvsbass and 7 others like this.
  8. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I've only asked to drop one song. The band wanted to play Do I Do.

I'm happy that practice and rehearsal should get you there, but even though the guys in the band thought it was working, it definitely wasn't!!

I "made" them choose something else.

Spidey2112 and mexicant like this.
  9. I played in a stevie wonder tribute band, we did that song ,definitely a tough one! Sir duke and master blaster were also a tricky ones.

murphy, HolmeBass, eJake and 4 others like this.
  10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    When Doves Cry. I botch that one up every time.

11. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I actually look forward to it now, but daaaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnn that thing is a beast and it has been quite a journey to be able to say that. Even started a thread about it: Footloose is a monster!!!

12. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Whipping Post.

Playing the intro, especially the first 2 reps before the guitars come. I have to set the tempo so it's hard for me not to rush or get the rhythm jammed up.

I've woodsheded this for hours and still have issues. I think my band is torturing me as this song is on the Playlist for every show.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    The only songs I'm ever nervous about are the ones we didn't rehearse adequately. Regardless of whether you need to play it once or 100 times, you should know the song before you play it live, IMHO.

14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    For some reason, Simple Mind's "Don't You" was my nemesis in one band I was in. That gallop was quite the workout, and live the band would play it even faster. I was DONE after that one.

15. Nothing really, but if I were playing 'D-Code' by Alain Caron in a band setting I'd be sweating a bit. That said, I wouldn't play it live until I was satisfied I could pull it off!

gebass6 likes this.
  16. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    Stormy Monday... we cover the Allman / Fillmore East version, but a bit slower. I know the bass part very well, but our drummer (who can and will do high speed fills all night) is often incapable of keeping a rock solid consistent slow tempo at the beginning. He gets more complicated as the song progresses and then his tempo is more consistent. Likewise, if he uses a side-stick on the snare he settles in pretty quickly, but when he doesn't it stresses me out. He doesn't seem to hear it. On a click track he's fine, but that's because there is an undisputed reference...

oldrocker likes this.
  17. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    That's 2 for the Allman Bros so far. ;)

I play this one as well. Fun song. I guess I've been lucky to play with drummers that have been able to keep the slow tempo required for this song.

For me the stress is wondering if the band is going to break into that double time feel organ solo part.

Spidey2112 and TheDirtyLowDown like this.
  18. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    you rehears them until your blue in the face and literally hate the song afterwards.....then onstage, you'll play it with your eyes closed, while sipping a martini, picking your nose and flirting with waitress..not in that order.......maybe.

BOOG, gebass6 and electracoyote like this.
  19. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I hate to play cover songs live !!!

five7 and 40Hz like this.
  20. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    For me it’s

Crazy by Patsy Cline

Stormy Monday by The Almond Bros

Man I can’t wrap my head around those two songs! Maybe because I hate them so I just can’t get into them!

Side story here

I was at a jam last year and the guitarist asked the singer to play Dreams! Ok no problem, I asked the guitarist if it was the song by The Cranberries or the one by Fleetwood MAC... he said in a condescending voice, “they are the same song” like huh!!:banghead:

mexicant likes this.