Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What credit card should I get

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I want something with low interest, but will let me have a card relativly easily. I don't have a ton of money in the bank, so Chase's student card shot me down. I'm not in huge amounts of debt or anything, but a while ago, people were throwing credit cards at me, now I can't find one that will have me.

Recommendations?

(FYI: I'm going to buy an amp, give the credit card to my parents or chop it up, pay off the amp)

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Amex black. nothing says baller like Amex black. I of course, do not have one. I doubt I ever will. :D

http://www.select-best-credit-cards.com/amex-black-card.htm

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I just applied for their student card, seemed pretty good, I'll find out in 14 days if I qualify.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Why not save the money first? By the time you've got ready cash for an amp, they'll all be smaller, louder and twice as sexy, plus you won't loose a dime on credit charges. After all, which is less stressful - making do with your current gear a bit longer or knowing that you have to earn enough to pay the bill each month or start getting great big lumps of interest wacked on top?

Wulf

5. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah dude, don't get a credit card for a GAS purchase. It's not worth it, you'll save a lot more money in the long run if you just save up for the amp. Even the lowest interest credit cards are an INSANE rip off.

Edit: Ok, but if you're intent on getting a card, go Capital One, that's what I have and the interest and hassle is pretty low. I usually pay off my bill each month tho...

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Unless... you fake your own death!

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    It's all the rage.

8. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Uh yeah...either that or just get one and have some self control.

brad cook

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    ditto, you do need a credit history for some purchases after all.

11. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I have lots of cc's. Some of the advice posted is true... They will take advantage of you, but only if you let them. If you charge something, NEVER be late with a payment. You'll pay an exhorbitant penalty fee and the more unscrupulous companies will ask you pay the balance immediately. ALWAYS pay at least 3 times the minimum payment, (this effectively lowers the interest rate) pay as much as you can. If you pay the minimum you are playing into their hands. If you pay the minimum and have a significant balance it will literally take you years to pay it off.

A cc is a necessity for travel and a good way to track what you spend, but you must pay close attention. If you stay in good standing, you will build your credit rating. Some allow you to build up air miles when you purchase stuff and you'll need one to rent a car or a make reservations at a hotel. You can do these things without one, but theyll make you stand on one foot, while eating a burrito with two fingers and one eye tied behind your back. It just makes it easier.

Capital One has a good rep, AMX too. If you f*** up though, it will cost you. If you think you won't be able to make on time payments, I'd avoid it. Just my $0.02.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    YEY GIVE ME DEBT!!! WOO WOO

:rollno:

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have Amex Gold and Visa Platimum and my advice is: DON'T DO IT!!!!!

14. If you cannot afford it without a cc, you don't need it.

If you buy it with cc, you may kick yourself in the ass when you one day realise how much you actually paid for it.

15. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    On the other hand...

If you CAN afford it, credit cards are great. I'm not talking about being rich, just buying within your means. I put EVERYTHING on the card so I get frequent flyer miles. I get free airline tix. The caveat is you must be on time for every payment and pay the balance. I'd never make it but my wife is a financial ninja. I'm about to dump a car loan balance onto another 3% card and save mucho interest. Work the system!

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There was a promotion with my bank about a year ago, and I got a student credit card as a result. I've been to scared to use it, it just sits in my wallet. Darn shame because it looks 10 times sexier than my ATM card.

17. ... you shouldn't get a credit card...

18. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    if i could give any advice to the youth of america it would be DO NOT GET A CREDIT CARD. DO NOT FINANCE. PAY CASH.

thank you that is all.

19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    In light of all the anti-credit card sentiments, I'll say it is good to get a credit card and start building a positive credit rating. My sister neglected to establish credit by avoiding credit cards and was unable to get a car or house loan because of no credit history. Get a credit history going. Just don't be an idiot and be sure to buy within your means. Be responsible and pay off the balance each month.

20. Get a Waffle House credit card

There is such thing, no joke.