what cuts through the mix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jessew, Nov 19, 2003.

1. jessew

Oct 27, 2003
    new jearsy
    The worst enenmies of a great bass line is super distorted guitars and guitarists trying to appease their guitar-god fixations. Im just curious, what is your guys main bass for cuttin through the mix.....would love to see some pix
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peavey Cirrus. This thing cuts through distorted guitars very well.

Lakland Skyline 55-01. This cuts as good as the Cirrus, but doesn't sound quite as nice. And it's not as easy to play, either.

3. jessew

Oct 27, 2003
    new jearsy
    great pics man, lets keep those pics and opinions comin guys
  4. My roscoe get's me heard whenever i'm jamming with hyper active drummers and guitarists with extremely loud attacks and distortion.

5. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i have BART pickups and and Aguilar obp3 in my MTD Heir5, and the adjustable mid plus mid-frequency switch helps me find the mid-boost to cut through...
    but in general, i just choose not to play with loud distorted guitars. :D
  6. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I like my Warwick Corvette Standard w/EMG pre. Has a nice low-mid gut punch.:)
  7. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    In my opinion, it's less a matter of the BASS and more a matter of the EQ. Try boosting the heck out of the 400hz range (frowny face EQ) and you'll see what I mean in terms of hearing yourself in the mix.

8. yea EQing does help, but its not totally EQ. The BTB i have can cut thought with a TON of eq in a louder style setting, but the roscoe does it with little to none.
  9. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    both my ESP's, the F204 has EMG's which cut thru anything, and so does the B305 thru-neck with the SB-5's. i love ESP:bassist:
  10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I second the Roscoe! I have a myrtle body LG-3005, and it's the absolute bomb for playing with distorted guitars. It's fat Fat FAT! I've never had a problem being heard. Most of the time I get told to turn it down (imagine that:)).

I'm assuming that if you're up against a couple of Marshall stacks, you're not really interested in any high end trebly stuff, right? 'Cause I wouldn't bother trying to get that stuff heard over 16 Celestion's. That would be painful (for the audience).

However, if you need to dial up a nice slap tone on demand, or if you need an occasional upper midrange boost for doing Korn or Bob Trujillo, the Roscoe will serve you very nicely. Mine has more treble that I could ever hope to use, most of the time I dial it down to about 9 o'clock.

My myrtle body Roscoe is my absolute favorite bass for any kind of fast hard rock or metal. There are other things it does well too! :)
  11. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    yes, and certain basses have more natural mid-range than others, like peavey cirrus, or some elricks i've heard.
  12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    This one!!

Like a RAZOR!!!
  13. With all due respect to the above poster who said it's partly the bass and partly the EQ, I disagree. IMHO, it's totally the EQ. I've played with more loud distorted guitars than my ears could stand, and any old piece of ****e bass will cut if the amp is good and the EQ is applied thoughtfully.
  14. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Take that sound you love in the living room... and turn it upside down. Everything that annoys you about your tone - that's what cuts through.

15. +1. This is definitely the place to get cutting through in the mix

And if this works, here's what I use....Spector REX2000/5

16. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Here's another EQ trick - turn DOWN some of the controls on the guitarists' amps :D

Playing in a band is about working together and fitting each instrument into a suitable "space" - if everyone is trying to be heard clearly above everyone else... that's a futile arms race where the sound just gets louder and muddier.

That does mean :ninja: that sometimes it doesn't matter if the bass can't be heard clearly - the important thing is that together you agree on what sounds good for the band.

17. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't play one, but as someone in the audience, Stingrays really cut through and find their own place in the mix.

But I agree with everyone that said it is EQ :)
  18. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've never had a problem being heard, although a bassist that used my amp after me totally changed the EQ(cranked the bass, cut out the mids and treble). The guitarist totally Newstedded him.
  19. [​IMG]