1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What D.I.?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by berklee46, Aug 30, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I was just able to get ahold of a Walter Woods amp, but unfortunately the D.I. is only a 1/4" jack.

So, what DI do you guys recommend? I've heard good things about the Countryman, but is there much difference between that (Active - $160) and, say the Whirlwind IMP-2 (Passive - $39)?

The Tech21 Sansamp seems to be a favorite, but if I'm spending thousands on my bass and amp, will the Sansamp change the sound? Wouldn't I be better off having no tone controls on the DI and letting the bass/amp control the sound?

(It's pretty obvious that I've always used the XLR DI on my amps)

Any comments / suggestions welcome...

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Just get a passive DI box. A $20 rapco is fine. You can buy a whirlwind if you want, we have a dozen or so of them at church and they are tough as nails. BUt I have been using Rapco stuff for years with great success. Have you ever seen the inside of a passive DI box? There isn't much to it.

I used high Z D.I.s for years before I ever owned an amp with an XLR out on it. I think they are installing XLRs mostly for ease of use.

One tip. Use a fairly short 1/4" cable to go from the amp to the DI box. and as long of an XLR cable as you need to get from to the snake/board.

In a pinch, you can use a 1/4" to XLR converter, all things optimal, these work fine. But a box is only a few bucks more and with it, you get a ground lift which you may need and a parrallel 1/4" send which you may want.

The only reason to use an active DI is it increases the s/n ratio. If you have a very weak signal coming out of your amp, it could get noisy. I doubt you will have that problem.

The bass driver works optimal with a source signal. (pre-preamp) Typically players use it as a preamp in front of their amp or in a parrallel setup to the PA. If you use it as a DI behind the preamp, (your 1/4" lineout) it will effect the signal. They are nice things to have, but probably more than you need.

Chas

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A SansAmp connected to a WW??

:rolleyes::eek: :rolleyes:

Just get a decent passive DI like the Whirlwind Director and patch it to the WW's line out.

4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Brian, that was my original plan - to buy a Whirlwind IMP-2 (which is what Walter Woods recommended), but I was told by some soundmen that the passive DI's were noisy, etc.

I just wouldn't want to add noise to my sound...

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, there is definitely a difference soundwise, but it's rather subtle. The common man won't hear it in a studio mix, and definitely not live through a PA. So let's just say that it's not $120 worth of difference.
    The Countryman, however, will last you a lifetime - this thing is as tough as a tank. Most solidly built piece of equipment I've seen so far. CAI (the builders) claim to have run it over by a truck and it didn't break, and it's supposed to withstand voltage spikes of up to 20 kV. I doubt the Whirlwind can take that. Not that I ever would put any equipment of mine under such extreme conditions...

6. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    If you're looking for a cheap passive DI I'd recommend the IMP2 as well. I thought all DI's were the same until I recently bought a CBI passive that sounded dark and lifeless compared to the IMP2 I already had-and it cost $10 more! Needless to say, I returned it and got another IMP2. If you're looking for an active DI, the new Raven Labs one is supposed to sound great and it has a sidechain FX loop.