What defines a band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by `ash, Oct 23, 2005.

1. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    I was at a wedding reception where "the band" was just a female singer/accoustic guitar, a male singer/accoustic guitar, and a drum machine-jukebox thingy.

I kinda expected more. All it turned out to be was basically kareoke with guitar. Is this legit? Is it a fair form of perfomance or is it taking the easy way out? Can 2 people doing a sing-along, be called a band?

On a funny note... as i walked into the reception with a drummer friend of mine, i noticed him glancing towards their setup, especially their guitars. His remark "i thought we were getting a band tonight? All I see is two wankers"
  2. well, if they programmed or recorded the DM-Jukebox thingy, they still made the music, so why not? its cheaper, plus a lot less gear to set up...but i do see your side of things, it does seem kind of a rip-off to not see a whole band on stage!
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well, to someone like Benny Goodman, a 4 piece like the Beatles will just be 4 wankers also.
  4. Simon and Garfunkle did it.
    Sonny and Cher did it.
    Dillon did it Solo.

God knows that there's lots of "groups" out there that were just the up-front duo's with back-up.

If you've got a gig and you have the gear and a couple of vocalists, then you've got a band!

I've played weddings with bass, guitar/vocals, and drums. What's the difference, except that the drums are "machined"? Obviously, ours is better with live drums, but the music could be the same.

If you think you can do better for the same price, then call the agent and get yourself booked!
  5. Here's one:

Are boy bands really bands???
  6. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I think a band is defined as soon as all the members can honestly say "I'm in a band" to the people they meet... having a name is important too I think.

I'm in 2 bands... one I formed myself, which I've called a band for a while (the 2 guitarists are total randoms that I got in, the drummer is my best friend) and we're loving it.

My other band is one that I've joined and been accepted into. We're a band, but we have no name! It's difficult trying to explain anything about them because I don't know what to call them!
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you have at least two people you have an "ensemble".

Whether it's a band or not depends on how you define "band" I guess. back in the 1920s, small bands were called "orchestras" a lot (check some labels on old 78s). Nowadays noone would talk about going to see Jon Bon Jovi and his orchestra!!!

Your REAL question seems to be whether an act using automated backup is a legitimate ensemble. Answer: YES

Next question please...
  8. Well, they were both playing their own instruments, right (acoustic guitars)? That would constitute a band right there.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How much did you pay to get into the reception? 'Nuff said!
  10. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Who's Dillon? Marshall Dillon? :D