1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What defines Ohm, Watt...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gillento, Oct 15, 2006.

1. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    What components in a speaker define how many watts the speaker will take and what will be the load? Does this affect sound?
    Let's say we have the "same" speaker in a 16 ohm and in a 8 ohm load (apart from the 8 ohm being louder than the 16 ohm)

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm not totally sure. you could check FAQ sticky at the top of the amp forum or search outside TB for "how do speakers work?"

here are a couple I found...

http://www.thespeakerstore.com/glossary/howspeakerswork.htm

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker12.htm (choose from table of contents window)

I didn't see much clear info on speaker ohms. but, here is some of what I think I know. the average cab is rated at 8 ohms. if the cab has multiple drivers, the individual drivers are higher ohms wired in paralell so the total load usually equals 8ohms. some cabs are 4ohm. the lower the ohm rating of the cab the easier the electricity flows from your amp, however most amps can handle a 4ohm load, MINIMUM, meaning you could run one 4ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs. some amps can handle 2ohm total loads. if an amp says "4ohm min load" you still can use one 8ohm cab if you like just fine. if you have, say, two similar cabs from a manufacturer and one is 4 ohms and one is 8 ohms hooked into the same amp your load will be below 4ohms AND the 4ohm speaker will sound a bit louder because it gets more juice because it is a lower resistance (less ohms).

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The voice coil deteremines impedance (ohms) and power rating (how much power the vc can tolerate before taking damage from heat).

It effects the sound in lots of ways. Generally, the effects are caused by the electrical characterictics of the vc at different frequencies, and the weight of the vc and how that effects the resonance of the cone.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA