Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What defines Prog (Art) rock?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hateater, Apr 26, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    In a music class I had today, our teacher briefly went over some of the rock styles that started in the late 60's and early 70's. There was Punk, Psychadelic, Jazz-Rock, Metal and... Progressive (or Art rock as she called it).

She played one song from each type of rock. The song was supposed to perfectly represent what that style was about.

For Punk, she played "God Save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols.
    Psychadelic- "Purple Rain" by Jimi Hendrix
    Jazz-Rock- A Blood Sweat and Tears song that I don't recall the name of.
    Metal- "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath.

Then came Progressive Rock. What would she play? Would it be Yes? Would it be King Crimson? No- it was the Moody Blues.

I know that they may be progressive rock, but by what terms? She claims that to be progressive is to play straight up rock with an orchestra. Now correct me if I am wrong- but did most Prog. bands use orchestras? I know that some of them did for certain songs, but I know of none that used them all of the time. Also, I believe that people don't use orchestras as much anymore now that keyboards are so advanced.

OK, ok, back to the question. What makes Progressive rock?
    I always believed that it shoudl have at least a few of these:

-Long songs
    Sci-Fi themes
    Concepts
    Repeating themes
    very technical playing
    orchestrated and or keyboards aplenty.

Am I wrong?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Rickenbaker basses, flares and a drummer with a gong.....

:D

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    other Prog requirements:
    5 time signature changes in each song, at minimum. At least half must be indivisible by 2.
    Capes.
    Concept Albums.

I do not recall any 'Evening of Symphonic Rush' albums...
    that let's out the orchestral connection.

Interesting question, as my band has used the Prog and Art tags as descriptions before.
    What is Art-rock for that matter? Tough call.

4. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I was thinking about that orchestration, and I think that keyboards (or in the case of Rush sound effects via pedals) replace them.

I definately agree on the meter thing though. Also, the band must have a couple of all instrumental songs.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Oh I forgot about capes....essential! :D

And...a keyboard player with enough keyboards that it looks like they are playing from some weird black and white foxhole!

6. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I dare any of you to find a picture of a prog rocker wearing a cape. All i could find was Elvis!

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Rick Wakeman circa 1977:

[​IMG]

Oh ye of little faith!

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    LOL! :D :D

Don't forget the "mellotron!"

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Those are all elements, yes, but they are not as important as:

People just doesn't understand the genius. Only the real music fans "get it."

10. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Actually, I am a big Yes fan. One of my friends built Chris Squire's 'green bass"

I was just poking fun at the image, not the music.

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Your bands not "prog" if your fans don't have long protracted arguments about which Star Trek captain is the best :)

In fact, inst there a "list" that has a whole lot of "you know you are a prog rock fan if..."

12. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    As one who is terribly divided on the Kirk-Picard debate, I cannot truely call any band real prog until they actually have played a star trek convention. :)

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    genres = B.S.

You can call whatever you want whatever you want and someone will argue it.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I disagree :D

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh yeah, well I'm Neo-Progressive Art Dance Punk

16. Moody blues: prog rock? now that is the biggest scoop of poop I've seen today. but the day is yet young.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Excuse me? :rolleyes: I think you fill find that you are Neo-Progressive Art Funk Punk.

The Neo-Progressive Art Dance Punk movement was typified by the longer 9/8 passages after the third chorus, whereas you clearly have the more common 4/4 passages after the third chorus, putting you squarely in the Funk Punk genre.

What music school did you say you attended?

:D

18. I dig the new immerging fuse of hardcore/new age/ linear/military/wombat mix....... its a great style........... really!
    :meh:

19. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Well come on now, that is just one guy!

Moody Blues = prog rock? I don't think so.

20. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Prog-rock to me is bands being weird as....intercourse...

"Fellows! I have this brilliant idea! Our next concept will be about a man who takes his dog for a walk and then gets sucked into an parrallel universe in which rock and roll never happened. The people use pancakes as currency and giant, sentient wombats rule the world!"
    "Brilliant! Incredible!"
    "Yes, and we can include a melodica solo on the title track."
    "Ooo! And what if Sheffield Polka Orchestra played on the opening! That would be sublime!"
    "One word, mates. 'Ice-capades'"