Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What determines B string "floppiness?"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DLM, Jul 15, 2004.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Assuming the scale on a given bass is fixed at 34", is the gauge primarily responsible for how "floppy" a B string is? If so, would a smaller gauge (.125 for example) be more or less "floppy" than a larger gauge (.130 for example)?

Additionally, has anyone tried a .120 B string? Any thoughts on this gauge? (It comes standard on DR's light gauge string sets.)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the floppiness of the B string is not down to the strings, but rather the bass itself and things like for example, the stiffness of the neck.

So - I generally use a 130 B string - but I have tried sets with 118 B string and it was no more or less floppy on my bass. Whereas, I have tried other basses, with the same gauge and type of strings as I have, and they have had floppy B strings....:meh:

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm with Bruce 100% on this one. Neck stiffness is key. I don't have any electric basses with a longer scale than 34", and I use TI Powerbass strings on most of them with low Bs, and it's a .119" and sounds amazing. No flop at all. Even when I had my 6 string fretless set up with Jazz Rounds (.118" low B), I didn't have any problem with flop.

And, you should never overestimate the importance of diameter in terms of tension, anyway, since the tension is affected by the core, too.

4. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Thanks all for your responses. You've given me some good things to think about!