What did G&L do to this body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quap, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Quap

Quap

Oct 14, 2008
    Lubbock, Texas

Attached Files:

2. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Just looks like walnut stain to me

3. Everything repaired is a thing these days. Roasted Maple, roasted ash, roasted Alder....Warmoth actually offers them all.

4. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I like That roasted swamp ash!

I wonder what finishes would look like on top of them.

5. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    FIFY. And yeah, roasted is getting to be a pretty big thing these days:
    • More "old wood" tone - as wood ages, the remaining sap and resin slowly leaves the instrument (at least when it hasn't been coated an inch thick in poly as Fender is wont to do), which "opens up" the instrument's acoustic tone. Roasting is meant to simulate this process.
    • More stable - the overdrying of the roasting process makes necks less susceptible to changes in climate, giving you better tuning and setup stability (one major reason necks were the first piece to get this treatment)
    • No finish needed - Because of the climate tolerance, you don't need to seal roasted wood, so if you like the feel of bare wood under your fingers this is the way to go.
    • Nice aesthetics - The roasting darkens the color, of course, but also helps to bring out grain and figuring, which is coming into style as an "old made new" look, similar to making instruments from reclaimed wood.

mexicant likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021