Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"What did he play?" Pictures of our heroes playing unlikely basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Let's put up pictures of well known player playing Basses they are not "well known" for playing.

I have seen pictures of Jaco Pastorius playing live with blues man Albert Collins using a Fender Precision bass.

Here are some other strange ones. Here's Gene Simmons playing a Fender.

[​IMG]

During Kiss' early years they got a Gibson endorsement providing Gene with the Grabber Basses he's known for but apparently they also provided him a Thunderbird.

[​IMG]

2. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I dont have a picture of it, but for many years i had seen a TV clip of Jack Bruce playing what I thought was a regular Fender guitar while lypsynching (i think it was "Strange Brew").
    I always assumed he had shown up without a bass and grabbed one of Eric's guitars thinking no one would notice.
    My teacher just told me that was a Fender six-string bass, the old-fashioned kind.

3. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    My god
    Our Lady peace
    Sadowsky Vintage 4
    [​IMG]

Scott Weezer
    Vintage Fender maybe from 70's
    [​IMG]

4. yeah, man, thats the fender bass VI. Bruce's main bass for a while before the famous gibson SG bass.

.....i love those bass VI's, i really want one!

Charlie

5. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    There's a couple of pictures of it here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114277&page=2&pp=20

In the "Those Were the Days" Cream box set there's also pictures of Jack Bruce playing a Danelectro Longhorn.

6. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I just saw the Hollies on the 1964 NME Poll Winners show and their bass player is using the Fender VI. They look just like guitars. The Hollies were like an early power trio act because they had electric bass and guitar but Nash played an acoustic not plugged into anything and Allan Clarke just sings. But boy are they tight.