What did I buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDodger, Jul 30, 2002.

1. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    OOOOOOOOOOOOK...About 10 years ago I bought a cabnet that is like no other, a cabnet that I CANNOT find any refferences to on the web, a cabnet that no well-meaning, tone-freakish bassplayer would ever own...but yet, here it is...I now find myself curious and decided to ask my fellow BassPeeps their knowledge, advice, and HELP.

This this is what was then known as a Sonic SuperFunk. Things are gonna get scary with the next few line, so the squimish, Beware...

This thing is the same size as the Ampeg 8x10 (and probably the same weight, too). It has casters. It has 2 18' and 2 10' speakers, the 2 ten inchers are in a "box" within the cabnet. It IS bi-ampable, but not for the faintest of amps.

Now- I ask you, what do I have? I KNOW it's big and can easily scare small children, I know I will probably never play it again, and I know it is the MUDDIEST SOUNDING thing I have plugged a bass into...

Does someone have SOME info on this thing? Can anyone tell me if I need to kill it? Will it eventually kill me?

BTW- My main rig is the Harke7000 with the Hartke 410XL and 115XL, so I need it not! But I AM a little curious...what would be the outcome if I intergrated this behemoth to my present rig? Will I blow the amp? Will my tone just suck so much more? Will God love me anymore?

Any and ALL feedback IS welcome...
  2. I think they had to discontinue those because the magnetic field was screwing up satelite communications and sucking in small aircraft.

I don't know what you've got there either, but be afraid...be very afraid.
  3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    I do not know either but do you want to sell it? i live in florida!

4. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Stu Hamm plays a cab made by sonic.
  5. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Can you post a pic? BTW, I can assure you that God will love you no matter what behemoth you plug your bass into! Perhaps it is part of His plan; the coming Armegeddon and all...;) Is there a fifth horseman we forgot about? The one of Ultra-Low frequencies?
  6. Response is flat to 8 Hertz. Hitler used them in the thirties to excite the masses during his speeches. ;)

Have you ever e-mailed Merle Unruh about this? :D
  7. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    BassNW has one used. Looks like it only has one 18" though, so maybe not quite the same thing. Same name though.
  8. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Yea- BassNM has the regular "Funk" cab with the 2 10's and 1 eighteen. This is the "SuperFunk" which has 2 18's in it. They are identical save the size. They simply extended the cab to house another 18 and they put ports in between the 18s. They really weren't thinking because the two holes were trimmed with 2 plastic trims that flew out of the holes within like the first 10 minutes of reheasals, so I had to NAIL them in place...

It's in pretty good shape and I found the cab itself to be made of redwood. As far as a pic- I will send one soon. You got to see it to beleive it!

As far as magnetic fields go- yea, if ya get it too close to a TV set (Say 15 ft) it will mess with the screen. I'm scared to sleep with it in the same room as I might develop tumors or something. I have been messing with the guys upstairs by placing it directly under their TV, and they mentioned to me that something was wrong with it..LOL.

But if anyone knows anymore about it, I would Love to know...
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

I take it this thing has a VIN number and license plates?
  10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    And when he passes on, he can be buried in it as well!