1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what did i do wrong?? ( pics ) problem solved

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JazzMarius, Apr 15, 2009.

1. u wont get hurt if u read it tough

hey, i soldered this and the tone just don't do anything. but when i turn it up it makes some click when i play the string ( when i play not when i touch it ).

the ground is very good, no noise AT ALL and i measured the continuity of the faraday cage and all is 0.

i didn't want to solder the case of the pots, maybe thats the thing, but dunno.

please don't speculate, just if u know, help me!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It looks like it's wired correctly. I'm wondering if you over heated the pot when you soldered it.

As a test, jump a wire across the two lugs on the tone pot and see what happens. Then if you don't get a change the cap is probably bad.

Oh and that's a ground plane, or shield, not a Faraday cage. A Faraday cage is usually made of mesh and would have to enclose the entire thing.

3. A Faraday cage only has to be made of conductive material. It does not have to be mesh. It appears that the cavity in the bass above is fully shielded as well. If it makes contact with the shielding on the pickguard (and it appears to from the picture) then this is indeed a Faraday cage.

4. can u show me that ? the two lugs ? i see 3 :D or , i am not sure what u are saying.

5. well. i didn't overheat the pots i am sure about that. i touched them for 1 sec with a 25W soldering iron.

the cap was good .

the issue was that the pickups are garbage, and they are for 4 strings and i put just just the B string to test the thing. it sounded weird.

i then put all the strings and it sounds ok now ( still bad for the pickups ). it sounded a bit better before cause it had other circuit . this one : http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/diagrams/SquierJBassSpecial5B2B.pdf

and now it has the standard jazz® circuit VVT.

it sounds good but, it will better with those sadowskys HC that i am waiting :D

the bass is a Squier Precision Special 5.

hope this helps someone!

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Right, that's why I said "usually mesh", but not always.

True, when it's all closed up it's a Faraday cage, but just checking that one section, it's a shield or ground plane, since it's not closed up. ;)

I'm just being pedantic. But you are correct, it works as a Faraday cage.