1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kragma, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Kragma

Kragma

Nov 7, 2009
    Ashland, Ky
    Little backstory: I have this old passive ibanez that uh... well it didn't have any electronics in it and I wanted make it playable, not for any real purpose, maybe to give away, but anyway, it's a P/J configuration and after finding some cheap pickups and what I assume to be the original pots, I set about giving it life again.

Problem: I found the original wiring diagram for it and, well it looked complicated, so I just wired it up like a jazz bass and after figuring out I'd reversed the polarity on the jack, it was finally making playable sounds, but messing with the controls (V-V-T) I noticed the problem. The tone pot is working half as a volume control. I say "half" because there's a notable difference in tone between full on and full off, but I can turn the pickups down all the way and still get sound if the tone pot is wide open, only becoming completely silent if the tone pot is turned all the way down.

Pickup switching seems to work alright otherwise. Neck sounds lumpy and bridge sounds glassy, though it's hard to say with the little practice amp I have sitting in my basement work area.

Was assuming that it would work with a jazz wiring a mistake? Is something defective? Or did I just mess it up.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Are the grounds all tied together (pickup grounds, backs of the controls, etc.)?

What are the values of the pots?

Can you post photos?

3. Kragma

Kragma

Nov 7, 2009
    Ashland, Ky
    I read this and thought "surely I didn't..." but then I checked I had them grounded to the tone pot. I'm not sure why I thought that was right way to do it, but that does appear to be the problem. Thanks.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021