Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What did I just buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deadphish, May 6, 2005.

1. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    Well for $499 used at GC I just picked up a David Eden CXC-300. It is a combo amp with a 15" and a 10" and 2 ports with a 300 watt head. I don't know a whole lot about David Eden stuff but this thing sounded great and I know the brand is high quality. Could anyone that has experience with this amp give me some feedback on how they are liking it or if you think I got a good deal on it. It says it was made in 1999 on the back and it is absolutely in perfect cosmetic condition, seriously.

2. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    Did you look at the Eden website? I know nothing about the stuff, but the website has a new model called CXC1015 that looks like what your describing. Maybe you can find out more on the official website. :eyebrow:

3. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    Yup I checked it out. Apparently this is a solid state head, but most peeps are sayin that it is hard to tell. All I know is this is a nice upgrade in sound quality and volume from my GK400RBII 210 combo.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's a solid state head. The speakers are stamped-frame. There is a coaxial tweeter in the 10-inch speaker.

Anyway, I played one a few years ago at GC in Las Vegas, right after they bought out Musician's Fiend. I really liked the sound of it (even though it has a 15). Kind of jazzy/punchy. $499 is not too bad for this combo. If that's what they had it marked, then you probably could have gotten it for $400, though.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'd like to hear that. A friend of mine has the 2x10 CXC-300 and it kills.

6. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    I don't see a tweeter. Are you sure it's there? Is it underneath the speaker or something?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's under the dust cap. From the Eden website:

"Features a 1x15" woofer and a 10" coaxial mid high speaker. This system is perfect for players who seek great low end response with a deep full tone, in combination with crisp tight highs."

8. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    I am sorry. I don't understand. There is a dust cap on top of my 10"? And the tweeter is underneath that? To me it just looks a like regular 10" speaker. The inner spherical part of the speaker is rather big compared to the 15" so is that beacuse there is a tweeter hidden under there?

9. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    Also, what kind of extension cab could I use with this? There are 2 4ohm speaker outs on the back. One is currently use for the built-in speakers. Does this mean I need to use a 4ohm cabinet as an extension? Are 8ohm cabs not an option?

10. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    the dustcap is the dome in the center of the speaker... a coaxial set-up is like in car stereo speakers, where the tweeter is mounted in the center of the woofer... the dust cap is covering the tweet :bassist:

11. i know some amps that state 4 ohm, and dont go well with 8 ohms, but generally, you should be OK to use an 8ohm cab, but you won't get the full power from the amp into that cab. :)

12. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    It's a little more complicated than that. I suggest that you read this.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144244