1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What did I just do?! NBD on the way!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Been very frugal the last year, sold a ton of gear I wasn't using, paid off all my credit card debt, money in the bank, etc. Current rule was one guitar or bass in, one guitar or bass out, and I was doing great, until today.

Ended up with a NOS American Standard in 3-tone sunburst, rosewood neck from GC. They had a few stores across the country that still have a few in stock. Called around, found one that I ended up buying.

Checked through listings her in the Classifieds, and looks like 2012-2016 American Standards sold for like $750-$850 or more plus shipping, so for just under a grand (they wouldn't add the current 15% off coupon because it's already discounted) I figured going NOS with a warranty and free next day air shipping was a decent deal. If I pressed harder I may have been able to get a slightly better deal, but it's basically the exact bass I wanted, got great customer service and it really was a great GC experience, plus the return policy is second to none (I just feel the need to report great customer service from GC because they do get trashed a lot, and I've had hit or miss experiences, but this was a good experience, and the store manager helping me was super knowledgable and accommodating).

This one is from a GC in Texas and the store manager was a pleasure to deal with, is a bass player and went through the bass and assured me aside from a super small dent seen by the string ferrules it's in great shape, weighs 8.5lbs, no issues at all, plays great and even took some pictures of it for me, and I didn't ask them to do that. The story I was told was they thought they had one in stock that was on the floor, and sold that floor model recently, then figured out they had one in the back in the box and just put it out about a month ago. Was hoping it came with the TSA case, but they said this one comes with the Tolex case. Either way, that's not a deal breaker.

Looks like it should be here Tuesday, and I'll put it through it's paces and report back. Still not getting my hopes up totally because I know it could be a dud, and I'm not one to buy online/over the phone. The pessimist in me still wonders what's wrong with this thing to be still sitting on the racks. The optimist in me wants to believe the story about it being forgotten about in the warehouse. Fingers crossed!

Here are the pics that I was sent:

icl85sG.

Ey9k60c.

KkH9IiX.

rYRUGM8.

Fj30zUz.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Tbone76, Templar, mikeyjm2 and 32 others like this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fabulous Fender Jazz Bass! Congratulations.:hyper: I have a 2012 American Standard Jazz (bought new and kept stock) that I will never sell.

Tbone76, Spidey2112 and sbpark like this.
  3. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    For anyone with a 2015-2016 American Standard, please feel free to chime in with your impressions of these basses.

4. hell_yes

hell_yes

May 6, 2005
    Florida
    I have a '15 American Standard 3TSB Jazz. It's currently my go to. Enjoy the hell out of it when you get it.

sbpark and Linnin like this.
  5. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    1BBAF2E0-8E36-4DF9-8BD4-297350E0DB94. I have a ‘13 AMStd J that looks just like the one you bought.
    It’s a great bass,but i have it for sale here on TB,as i just prefer a wider nut/neck. I have it strung with Chrome Flats,and it sounds fabulous played with a pick.

Tbone76, REMBO, SirMjac28 and 4 others like this.
  6. I have a '15 Jazz AND P In Olympic White/ Tort, Maple board. They are forever basses!

The Jazz is a bit heavier than the P, But it sounds so great. It took a bit to tweak the setup to my liking. Been a perfect companion on musical adventures.

I got the Jazz in early '15 and the P at the end of '16. I call them the "Sisters" Bought the both new through Zzounds.

They are my main gigging basses. As well as an '08 Road Worn P that sports flats, and a couple mods.

SirMjac28, sbpark and Linnin like this.
  7. If it were me:

GC has a huge turnover constantly in stock and employees at any given location. Lord knows what could be lurking in their out of the way spaces. That it's got a few dents that don't go thru the paint is a relief, as now I wouldn't have to worry about it getting its' first few 'love taps'. And it's a California build for less than a grand, to me, this is all good if it's as represented when you get it. Great Buy !

8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^Agreed!^^^:thumbsup:

9. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    That fretboard screams 'OIL ME!'

10. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    You could be right. ;) This one’s been in the case not getting any love for a good while now.
    I’ll give it a lemon oil refresh right away.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    From the pics alone, it looks great! Enjoy your new acquisition!

sbpark likes this.
  12. Nice purchase. A beauty! Enjoy!

sbpark likes this.
  13. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    What a sweet little honey!

sbpark likes this.
  14. Frampton

Frampton Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2010
    NY
    Nice score. I’ll be waiting for the review upon your receipt.

sbpark likes this.
  15. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    NY
    Absolutley amazing basses. Was sad to see it go when I replaced it with a Geddy as my #1.

sbpark likes this.
  16. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Congratulations! I have 3 American Standard Precisions with Aggies.

sbpark likes this.
  17. Very dangerous. Don't look it in the eye!

munkeyfish likes this.
  18. i-am-sorry-i-dont-do-impressions.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’ve always believed good fortune favors those who are persistent and prepared.

Thank you for reinforcing that belief. :cool:

Play it well. :thumbsup:

20. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I have a 2013 in jade pearl metallic. My favourite part is the neck still has some heft compared to the new American pro’s.