What did I see- dual P Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JTE, May 8, 2021.

1. Are there pickup switching combinations that would treat each pickup (total 4) separately so can get the outer 2 or one inner one outer or both inner only. Asking for a friend :)

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I believe TB'er @Fuzzbass has a custom Nordstrand dual-P, set up with a blend that does something similar.

There's also the Electra Phoenix bass that has dual reverse Ps, and is capable of doing that
    Electra Guitars

Fuzzbass and logdrum like this.
  3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    NBD - Fujigen FGN Mighty Power Double P! This bass looks to have perfect Double P pickup placement with the E/A coils in the 60s J placement and the D/G coils reverse set. I’d love to try a good fretless neck with a body routed this way with GZRs. Probably with something closer to a FSO pickguard, though.

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

@JTE; Fender only produced Blacktop basses for about two years…2011 to 2013, I believe. So, while they may not be rare, “scarce” or “thin on the ground” would be a good measure of their availability. As for their sound, they are quite the aggressive lil’ J-basses. I’ll be sure to post a soundclip when I’m home and in front of my computer. That, or you could find it posted by myself in the Fender Blacktop Club.

MattZilla likes this.
  5. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    Some fender boxer basses have dual P's that are slanted...coolest Fender I have ever seen! I had the chance to get one for cheap once and just missed it as i was too slow trying to figure out what it was...It is the one Fender i would really love to own.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I have a great fretless neck (originally from my '87 Jazz Bass Special) currently on a mahogany P/J where the whole bass weighs just shy of 12 pounds. A lighter dual P seems the solution.

7. Malak the Mad

That would be the Japanese-made Fender PB-555 "Boxer" bass.

fender-japan-boxer-series-pb555-olympic-white-electric-bass.jpg

The "Boxer Series" of the 1980's also included the classic Jazz Bass Special, also known to this day as the Duff McKagen signature Precision. :bookworm:

8. Malak the Mad

As promised, here's the link to the Blacktop Jazz sound test cut by fellow TB'er @audiomitch using a pick. Thanks again, Mitch! :headphone: :thumbsup:

And while I'm at it, here's some pics. This is my Blacktop when I picked it up from my local Guitar Center…

KXQsQfz.jpg

…then after applying my "DIY Sharpie Tint™" technique…

nBKKBeq.jpg

…it's current form…

Fk0Zwnf.jpg

…and an earlier configuration that I'll be returning it to soon enough. :snaphappy:

D5cjyEL.jpg

Ricky Rioli, Murch and JTE like this.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I sure do!

IMG_20131209_174800.jpg
    Five position rotary switch works as follows:
    1. Two inner coils - traditional P-bass location
    2. Two coils closest to the neck - warmer sound on DG strings
    3. Two outer coils - a wide reverse P
    4. Two coils closest to the bridge - more growl on BEA strings
    5. All four coils - unusual modern tone, not that Fendery (so to speak). Interesting but I don't use it much

As for the knobs (neck to bridge): Master volume, rotary switch, passive tone, active treble and bass

10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Now that is cool!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  11. Fuzzbass

Thanks! It's a crazy idea that had been percolating in my "P-brain" for decades, and the crew at Nordstrand were willing to make it happen.

Over the years my favorite basses have been "middle pickup" types: P-bass, Stingray. So my goal for this bass was to have a middle pickup with a bit more versatility. The differences between settings are not as obvious as switching from neck to bridge on a J-bass, but they are still quite noticeable, and I got what I was hoping for.

Goes without saying that this bass is a different animal than other dual-P models that essentially have a bridge pickup and a neck pickup.

PhatBottomBass1 and NKBassman like this.
  12. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Please could you tell us what that's like? :)

13. Fuzzbass

The two coils farthest apart sound like an eXtr3m3 reverse P: extra growl on the low strings (almost like Ric bridge pickup), extra depth on the high ones (similar to J-bass neck pickup). Sometimes it seems slightly unbalanced if I'm playing over one coil or the other and not directly between, but other times I think I'm just imagining that. I use that mode from time to time, it's fun.

Of the five modes, only the all-coils mode sounds like a different instrument. The two-coil modes all sound like different flavors of the same bass, and that includes the "extreme" mode!

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021