What did my trip to Rudy's Music Stop bring me???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Nov 15, 2005.

1. ...Not much, but there were positives.

I played a Sukop 6 string. Amazing bass, just great. The neck was super flat (which I happen to love) and the action was the lowest ive ever seen (coyuld barely see any space inbetween string and top of fret) and thee was ABSOLUTLY NO BUZZ. Had a great sound to it, sadly, It's no unique sound. Ive gotten similar sound out of other basses. But when I started to play hard it gave a really nice, Thumb-esque growl... but at $6400, a bit too much, id only pay about $3200 tops for this percticular bass. It didnt even have fancy knobs, just plain rubber ones, doesnt look good on such a fine peice of wood.

Then I picked up a Zon Sonus 5 fretted with a spalted maple top. I put it down less than 3 minutes later. I hated the neck on it. I didnt get any good sounds out of it and I was playing through a Aggie AG500 and Aggie 2x10 and 4x10!!! I was highly disapointed. This perticular Sonus sounded very thin and the low B wasnt clear and it was very loose. I expected alot more out of this, this may have just been this one bass. But this was definietely a bad first impression.

Then I picked up a Jaco Sig...

I flipped on the fuzz channel on the Aggie and went on playing for like 15 minutes :bassist: . The flatwounds were real low on tension and the action was just right. Just a great passive fretless. Although I wouldn't dish out $2200 for it. Im much rather go Valenti or Warmoth.

I really wish though, that the guys who work in Rudy's , didn'yt act like you are still playing a Squire and are running through a sh*t combo amp... :rollno: .

Otherwiase, this round at Rudy's. was mostly positive. Compared to the 3 other times I went and left uncomforatble and mad.
  2. Yeah both times I've been to Rudy's they've sort of treated me like dirt. Not fun. They do have a gorgeous bass selection though, if a bit pricey.
  3. brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I would also agree...Ive been to Rudy's 3 times now, each time actually looking to buy a bass. However, each time I just left because they were so rude....

so instead, i went to the jimmy c's guitar boutique....
  4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I made the utterly stupid mistake of actually shopping there. I was looking for something sub-2k, and all he would show me was KSD's, something else i dont quite remember, and a dinged up Modulus. He didnt quite treat me like dirt (skinny blonde guy.. i dont know how many ppl work there), but he was definitely waaaay over specific in terms of tone, and he didnt know too much about quality or woods. His knowledge definitely trumped mine, but I feel like he just didnt use it. Their prices are a little ridiculous, but I dont know where else in NY you can find a store (NOT a custom shop) with such nice basses.

I have some problems with their bass dept, but I met Rudy Pensa, and he is just awesome. I have a feeling hes not too happy with his bass dept, either.
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Jimmy C's?
  6. Wait...Rudy pensa, as in Pensa basses own's rudy's in NYC??
    I love the bass selection there, but as noted already they really aren't too keen on treating customers nicely you know?
  7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I haven't shopped at Rudy's in a long time. I bought my Eden Nemesis there, like eight years ago. And occasionally a set of strings or a cable. I've never known them to be exactly warm & fuzzy, but seldom ever rude either.

Of course, New York being New York, one is never more than three degrees of separation from exposure to serious attitude. Took me awhile to adapt to it (being a transplanted Midwesterner). But by now I've finally mastered that "Don't even start with me" manner. Seems to work for me... :eyebrow:

One point: The guys in Rudy's repair shop around the corner are a pretty different breed. Like pretty cool. So I've had some good experiences there. Maybe because they're not on commission... :meh:

8. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    Where is this place? I've never heard of it and i'm always looking for a new opportunity to be treated like crap lol.

edit: oooo never mind, just googled it. I've been there and yes, they are dicks. I went during a lunch break to check out a di box. I said "i play a passive J" the dude handed me an active p :scowl:
  9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    West 48th Street, about two doors east of Seventh Avenue. Here's the link: http://www.rudysmusic.com/

10. AmPb100

Apr 25, 2005

I delt with the same blonde guy. I expressed interest to buy a Ken Smith, or an F Bass, and he didn't look twice. Felt as if I should have been a celebrity for him to look me in the eye. ... I went Valenti.
  11. I don't know but everytime I go to New York I make my pilgrimage() to Rudy's and they always have treated me very nicely... So good that the last time I went there I walked out with an MTD 435!!!
  12. Yes, the New York guitar and bass boutique, owned by Jimmy Coppolo. www.guitarboutique.com

He does excellent repairs there. ;)

13. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    i havent delt much with the bass dept, but my one time they were just dicks. The repair people are really cool thogh. They get a big recommendation
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I visited Rudy's yearly from 2000 thru 2003 and had no troubles with the staff. The guy I dealt with the last 2 years was named Scott, I think. But it's likely that staff turnover is high, or maybe I just lucked out and caught 'em on good days. Anyway, I always like checking out the inventory @Rudy's, even if it's just looking.
  15. jpbass5

jpbass5 Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Newport, Rhode Island
    And he builds oustanding basses (and guitars)!
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, same guy. A friend of a friend of mine.

Personally, I've never been treated like crap in there, but every time I go up into the bass room, I'm afraid to touch anything. Most things in that room are worth more than my car.

Love the effects room though, and the prices aren't too bad for NYC either. Almost bought a used EHX Clone Theory there.
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

they usually treat all the MONSTER players to the "yea, go ahead, you can crank it" rule. :)

as for the Rudy guys, keep in mind, they get a TON of foot traffic thx to being soo close to tourist riddled times square. thus, you can imagine the juggling or gear to keep it from getting dinged, and the nerves that get frazzled because of it. heck, i remember a time when they didnt have the glass case in the front.

but yea, if you're a repeat customer they'll deal you w/ better respect. if you're one of the those doods w/ a slice of pizza in one hand, and another hand trying to grab for that MTD, no dice.
  18. brooklyn

Aug 10, 2005
    The guy's at the bass boutique are incredibly nice and extremely knowledgeable. They will not turn up thier noses at you even if you were to bring in a $50 Korean P Bass for some cleaning and an adjustment.

On top of that, the work they do is first rate and Jimmy's Basses are unreal. (check out some of the photo's of his Vintage style Fender type basses)

Anyone who's in the know will tell you his shop is the place to go in NYC.
    (as well as Ritchie Baxt's secret little Lower East Side Guitar Shop)

19. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm happy to read this. I was in NYC several months ago and stopped in at Rudy's. Is this the place where the bass department is on the third floor? The sales guy was very cold, acted like I was taking up his time and made me feel very unwelcome. I thought it was just me...
  20. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    That would be me... :ninja: Well not quite a $50 P Bass, but I have asked for work on a mediocre instrument; Jimmy did an amazing job and was extremely nice. Small shop with not much in stock, but definitely worth the trip.