what did Sting use back in The Police early years?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JWC, Apr 17, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
  2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    He did use a ibanez musician, but he mostly used his white spetor.
  3. in the very early days of the Police he used a Jazz (I think it was a 62) which he also later used for some of his solo stuff.
    he also used Precisions, one of which was a fretless (maple fingerboard).

as well as the Ibanez Musician and Spector he also used a Hamer 8 string fretless (shaped like an Explorer) which I think was in one of the videos for Zenyatta Mondatta, and a Steinberger.
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    did he ever use a fender tele-bass?
  5. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Outlandos: Fender P Fretted & Fretless
    Regatta: Same
    Zenyatta: Ibanez Musician
    Ghost: Steinberger L-2
    Synchronicity: Spector

Also, he used an Electric Upright that I believe was called a Brine throughout the Police period.

I think his electric bass of choice today is the '51 P.

My guess is that it's not a reissue :).

The Police, simple, cool music.

6. No, the bass he currently uses is a 1952 P-bass. It does look much like a telebass
  7. Most of the stuff on Outlandos and Regatta is unmistakably a Precision with flats.
  8. Let's try a third option, shall we?

Sting's main bass now must be a '54 or later, since it has contoured edges, sunburst finish and white pickguard. Those features weren't introduced until '54.
  9. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    you got it rob, but i am sure it's a '56.

10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    there is a fender precision sting signature made in japan. it looks like the tele bass. really really nice
  11. according to the march 2000 Bass Player issue, Sting's P bass is a 54.
    the Fender Custom Shop have built an exact replica for him as a backup ,which probably involved hitting it with a screwdriver to remove most of the finish :eek:.

around the time of Ten Summoner's Tales he was using a P bass fitted with a Modulus graphite neck.
  12. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    Mock is totally right, it is a 54.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Mock, i believe it was a Modulus, not just a Modulus neck.
  14. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I saw the Police on tour for their second album. Sting used a fretless Precision Bass.
  15. re. the graphite Precision, you're probably right, Angus. that bass does have the vintage style finger rest on it (under the strings), though.

I think the upright electric he used was a Z bass (it was mentioned in a BP article about upright electrics), and the story is that Sting nicknamed it "Brian"!
  16. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    That makes sense Mock. I remember seeing him play that bass and the Steinberger as part of the Ghost in the Machine tour of '82.

It's kinda funny, I played a P at that time and as the band fired up, he whipped out this kooky looking little black thing. I was thinking, "what the hell is that?" Needless to say, I was a little disappointed. The concert however, was one of my all time faves.

Now, I no longer have the P and I have an XL in my arsenal.

Go figure.

17. You still have an XL??? Holy sh%&@!! Those aren't made anymore...only Hohner and Ed Roman build similar basses. Keep that baby and take good care of it!

I never had one but loved the goofy look and...hey could you tell I'm into 80s music??? (See nickname)

Anyway, anything Sting played...didn't matter. The Police was the sh%&@! All time best. His solo work though... yeah can tell he's 48, not angry anymore, and well accomodated. It shows...
  18. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    According to Mark Kendrick of Fender, Sting's current bass is a contoured body, single coil, '54-early '57 style P bass with the neck and body both dated 4/57. It has alder body instead of the usual ash for that model. It also has a hard "V" neck. The original pickup has been replaced with a Seymour Duncan custom stacked humbucker.

He also uses a Fender Custom Shop copy of that bass.
  19. ...What did he use for amplification, though? I know for the time of the first two "Police" albums he had an Ampeg SVT plus 8x10" Box. But after that?! I think there is a pic in the booklet of the "live!" album where you can see what I'm talking about (in the same photo he's playing the fretless 8-string Hamer with maple fretboard that already got mentioned).
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - it was a fairly bog-standard one - I saw the Police live in my home town, when "Message in a Bottle" was No. 1 in the UK singles charts! :)