What did you do to stop using profanity?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 25, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

For many it seems to be more of a bad habbit then means to insult the people around them so how did you stop using it?.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I started when I got married.

..just joking...I have cut back since yesterday. :D
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Heh, I actually have a pretty bad potty mouth (my wife and I both actually), though I carry myself differently on TB. I don't do the ****ing out of naughty words and such, I just avoid it altogether. Just out of respect for the community (much like how I wouldn't be a potty mouth around the President or whomever.)
  4. I'm actually pretty good with keeping the f***ing swearing down to a minimum. It think it was the way I was brought up, my father was very strict with it so when ever I am around people I respect or the public in general, I don't use profanity.

If I did, and my father was around, he would crack me up side the head. When we got HBO, man he would flip out! So, for me, when the expletives start flying, It's because I'm pissed off. Damn it! :D
  5. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. I'd like to think I do a good job home around my kids, but around the guys at work I find I fall right back into my bad habit(s) no matter how hard I try not to.

I have to keep reminding myself constantly.

I'm really working at it.
  7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I haven't tried to stop. It's just a means of expressing yourself. Some situations there really is no alternative. Other times it's just funny.
  8. froggsoldier

Apr 29, 2005
    In all honesty, I started trying to cut it out of my life when I realized that every other word was a curse word, the way I did it was, like when I would get mad at someone instead of calling them an effer I would call them a poopy head or a turkey, still do it to this day. Another one is "aiyana" its a word that I made up, no idea where it came from but I do know that when I got into a wreck last year (ON MY 21ST B-DAY) I screamed that when I saw that the JERK wasn't gonna stop, as he hit me, so I would say silly words, hehe :bag:
  9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    When I stopped trying to say Fokeng with my mouth full.
  10. I try not to be profain unless I'm around my peers of similar mentality or attempting to convey something that requires a bit more emphasis.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    i went to college, then it got worse
  12. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
  13. i've been wondering how to stop over-using 'like,' in the manner popularized by paulie shore. it seems like i would like myself more w/ out that habbit.

i stopped using profanity as a kid when the opinions of people who found it offensive became important to me.
  14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    There are certain levels of comfortability I have when around other people when it comes to swearing. Friends, no problem. Friends' parents, erk! In class it depends on the teacher, but I generally keep it down. More professional situations (gig contacts, etc.) and my mouth is sparkling clean. I see no reason to stop swearing entirely, but I generally keep it down relative to the situation I'm in. Any sort of personal injury/massive levels of frustration, and the air goes blue, though...not a good habit.
  15. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I got a vocabulary.

16. Easy, just say "I do".
    My wife rides me very hard about my swearing, and she gets very upset if I use profanity. She gets that look like I just stomped on baby ducks or somthing, and with a little tear in her eye, she says how trashy it makes me sound.

I do admit that now when I here others using profanity, it does seem trashy.

So I try not to let myself get upset to the point of saying tasteless words, and realize the whole time that I'm totally whipped :D
  17. A couple years ago I had a huge potty mouth, about every third word was a swear of some type. I knew I had a problem, so I started replacing swear words with words like friggin, gorram(firefly was being aired at the time and I loved it...I don't know any Mandarin so I couldn't do what they did for the tv show), and just random words. Eventually it just stopped(while I still use swears, it is few and far between).
  18. HAHAHA! I just had the greatest mental picture ever.

I try really hard not to swear in front of adults, especially men. It's bad form.

But with friends, they fly. All the time.
  19. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    ******** nothing... why in the *********** *** world would ****** i ********* stop us*****ing that ************* ****** man **** be *********** realistic or ***** *** ******** *** * * * ************** pants...
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I didn't. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, gamble, or cheat on my wife. That leaves swearing as my only viable vice. I don't swear at home, mostly because of my daughter, but I do swear a little at work, but never at employees.