What did you name your bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Anon2962, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Maybe this has been asked before, but, have you guys given your bass(es) a name? how about your bows?

My bass is Gunther. Why Gunther? Well, he's big, blonde, and germany, and kinda bulky...i thought it fits.

As for my bow, it remains unnamed. Not sure if I'm gonna name him, but I am starting to get attached so i'd say i will soon..
  2. StudioHaen

Jan 28, 2006
    One's called Fat Mathilda.
    The other one's Fat Bertha.
    These fat ladies can sing.
  3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Ilsa, after Ingrid Bergman's character in Casablanca.
  4. The Stentor double-bass is called The Stentor Double-Bass, the Dual-Joy double-bass is called The Dual-Joy Double-Bass, the German bow is called the German bow, the French bow is called the French bow, the other German bow is called the other German bow, the Acoustic Image amplifier is called the Acoustic Image amplifier, the GK150MBE amplifier is called the GK150MBE amplifier, my name is Wil, the small cat is called Mr. Tumble, the large cat is called Montgomery, the medium sized cat is called Arthur… …the party of the eighth part hereinafter called the party of the eighth part shall be known as the party of the eighth part…

…er, um what's the point of this thread again? :confused:

- Wil
  5. 2 years ago I bought a badly beat up 1850's German shop bass. It took all the king's horses and all the king's men to put it back together again.
  6. jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    is your Sirleto bass still named Isabella?

7. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    I refuse to take on such a juvenile and pretentious exercise as to name my bass.

My bow quiver's name is Nigel, however, because he's so sassy!
  8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Until she enters the witness protection program....
  9. jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    You know, all this talk about female bass names got me thinking..
    Are there any female bassists? At least in jazz I cant think of any,
    have no idea in orchestral world.

I mean, I can imagine a female naming her bass Gunther and
    loving his big ...er deep voice :)
  10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I have a whole collection :)
  11. Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Off the top of my head:

Joelle Leandre, Joelle Morton, Diana Gannett, Orin O'Brien, Anna Doak, Nicky Parrott, MaryAnn McSweeney...
  12. My Roscoe LG 3005 is named Willow.
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    What about Esperanza Spalding, a woman in her early 20's who's already on faculty at Berklee?
  14. The Kay is called "Kay," the Eminence is called "Emmy" and the Strunal is called "Vicky" (don't ask!).

I think it's kinda fun to name a bass. Let's face it, they're bigger than most people and they all have different personalities and quirks. Why not name them?
  15. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I don't have names for my basses, but my teacher refers to my Strunal bass as my "Strudel" bass.

16. Jeff Guevin

Jeff Guevin I know you love me like cooked food.

Nov 6, 2005
    Binghamton, NY
    Just came across this thread, and thought I should contribute: my bass (Chinese, but with aristocratic bearing) is Lord Marbury.

17. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    My wife's bass is called 'Little Bambi' and Jodi Proznik is a young woman bass player with a ton of groove. She played with Oliver Gannon when he opened for Oscar Peterson at last year's Vancouver Jazz Festival and she was terrific.

Seeya, Jake