Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChessTiger, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ChessTiger

Oct 26, 2012
    Everyone pretty much knows the story of the GREAT B.B. King and why he named his guitar. I'm trying to think of a name for my bass.

Has anyone on the forum named their bass; please share the type of bass you have and what you named it. If you have a story behind the name, please share that also.
  2. almightycrunch

Apr 21, 2011
    I only named one guitar, my Gibson Explorer 76 reissue, she was black, and it was the time, so she was called "Black Sunshine" I had the truss rod cover engraved with the name.
  3. My Geddy Lee Jazz bass is named Geddy, I know not original, lol. Have not named the American standard jazz yet.
  4. Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have never named a bass. I call them what they are Jazz, Precision, Alembic, etc.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

My Carvin is called "The F clef", mostly because they offered an engraved truss rod cover... I had to put something.

Other than I just refer to them as my Fender, the Ray, and the (Ding)Wall. I also have a piece of spit most people refer to as a Squier VM fretless jazz though. :D

Attached Files:

6. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    My Explorer is called The Beast by some fans...
  7. matey

Sep 17, 2012
    wild wild oz
    hmm is this like a penis naming thread? because i named him wilbur
    ScarfFace likes this.
  8. Uh, no its not. Plus it's totally gauche when you name your own. its your partner's responsibility, unless you are becoming MUCH TOO FRIENDLY with it yourself, then you must seek professional help.

Re the axe, see sig.......
    Blueinred likes this.
  9. Monster Truck

Monster Truck aka: Uncle Kenny Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    My first bass was named The Resonator by the first owner. When I replaced the neck I changed the name to The Resonator 2: Judgement Bass, which was shortened to The Judge.

My Squier MusicMaster is named Snoopy, because the original white pickguard looked (vaguely) like Snoopy.

My CIJ Fender Mustang is named Nutsukow, meaning "white warrior," this is from the movie "Kickboxer."
  10. mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Hondo ric copy is named Betheney.
  11. How come you yell at us in the thread title?
  12. Egbert89

Aug 30, 2012
    Named my sunburst T-bird Lupe
    She looks kinda mediterranean and growls like a wolf, so well Lupe is spanish for wolf :p
  13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My preEB Musicman Sabre is named Oliver, just like the bad luck cousin from the Brady Bunch. The week I got it and immediately played it at it's first show it seemed everything that could fail, did...including the stage curtain catching on fire.
  14. I have 3 handmade basses made by Bruno Barnes (Italy). From the oldest, they're named "Alfa", "Beta", "Max".

I have also 2 Barnes violins, named "Margherita" and "Bruno".

And i have a P-bass thas is named "Lupin" ..... ;)
    Cowboy in Latvia likes this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Mine main bass was already named when I bought it. Fender Roscoe Beck
  16. ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    Xiao Mei Mei (little sister)
  17. Cherry, after the female figure on the pickguard sticker, but that will probably change if the sticker ever changes or gets removed entirely. I use easily removed stickers so that going back to original appearance is easy, if I wish.
  18. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    My basses are all named whatever color they are, only with a "Y" on the end.
    ScarfFace likes this.
  19. i'm currently building a Warmoth P-Bass in Charger Green and seeing as how warmoths are kinda frankenbasses i've decided to name it Herman in honor of Herman Munster
  20. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Dante (as in Inferno) for the 9 month wait I had for it. I always give my basses male names due to the low frequency nature being more male to my ears.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J