Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What did you practice today?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 11, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If you're like me, you're 6'2" and your name is William...

Sorry, It's an old Kevin Nealon line.:):oops::rolleyes:

If you're like me, you sometimes sit reading posts at TalkBass with a guilty feeling that your time could be better spent by practicing your instrument. It goes without saying that between these two things, practicing should come first. Period.

It doesn't have to be that way. There's plenty of time in a day to do both.

Use this thread to let other members know what you're practicing, for how long and what your goal is (you must have a goal, otherwise, why practice?)

I'm hoping this thread will help people keep track of what they're practicing, give other members ideas on things to practice and keep track of everyone's progress.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to log off and practice.:p

2. I'm currently working on a book that I bought, it's on walking bass lines. By this I'll strike two birds with one stone, I work on my reading skills and practise walking lines. And general coordination.

Lately I'm not spending as much time as I'd like on it, for pretty good reasons. One, I'm going through my semester finals right now, and as I already don't study much for them I don't need another distraction. And two, I'm also taking my driving exam in the next two weeks.

But seeing as I don't have a job yet for the summer, it lookes like I'll have plenty of time to practise then.

3. I just practiced some slap and sight reading with "The Slap Bass Bible" by Anthony Vitti. I worked on that for about 10-15 minutes but then my mind wandered and I came up with a cool slap bass line that I played around on for another 10-15 minutes. That lead me to some chord sequences that would work well with said slap line so I tried to hum a few melodies over the top just to make sure that said slap bass line and chord sequences would work with vocals. That lead me to playing the chords with my left hand and tapping out a few melodies with my right hand which gave me an idea for a cool intro for said slap bass line and chord sequences that would work well with a vocal melody. An hour later and here I am typing this out.:p

Typically my goals, when I practice, are to work on sight reading or reading in general, ear training, various techniques (slapping, tapping, playing a decent groove and embellishing over the top), analyzing different bass players and how they approach songs, melody, harmony... just about everything and anything I can that will make me a better bass player.

When I practice I will often times try to stick to an agenda, but not always. Sometimes, like described above, I will just go where the inspiration takes me.;)

4. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    this thread just made me realise how much my 'practice' amounts to nothing. christ i'm getting complacent with my bass playing :( the wont of a proper amp isn't helping, but an artist doesn't blame his tools, right? better get off my arse ...

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    - "I Remember Clifford" - melody and changes
    - Latin Bass Book
    - Learning Basslines to all tunes from a friend's band.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I spent about an hour playing ABG, brushing up for tonight's jam after ritual...

I gotta tell you, having an ABG around the house is great for impromptu practice. Got five minutes, waiting for the wife to get out of the loo? Grab the Tacoma!

Also, just like an acoustic guitar, an ABG will help you with technique. An ABG will not tolerate sloppy playing!

7. Besides playing Frequency (jesus that game is addicting! :)) I've been ear training. Picking up some Green Day, Pete Yorn, and some stuff from Frequency (The Dub Pistols was easy enough to pick up, and I'm working on Funkstar De Luxe's Ignition, even though I'm pretty sure the bass part is from a synth. )

8. I've been playing along with good ol incubus and using theory books to help me create better lines for the songs in my band. and writing songs.

sim

9. Today I worked on Arpeggios, both harmonizing and walking. I also practiced all the songs I know, so I don't forget them in my old age! :eek:

My goal is to eventually become competent! :D

Lisa

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've been working on a Cello Suite by Bach in G major. Awesome song. I didn't know my hands could actually physcially stretch to some of the positions I have to put them in for the song. I'm learning it mainly to improve my reading, which definatley needs a lot of work. I've also been working on a lot of tapping and tonight I have to practice with a bunch of guys for a recording project I'm involved in. (I hate practicing on Saturdays, I could be playing a gig on a Saturday night)

11. i learned to play ' Nebula ' by Incubus today.. :)

12. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    For the past couple of days, I have been working on Arpeggios. Also been jamming along with the Caravan album from Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Began to compose a hip-thrash instrumental piece today.

In another hand, everyday I spend at least one hour playing on scores. Just to keep accurate music reading if I'm hired for a replacement.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I practiced tapping after seeing German stick player Michael Gosh play in the street here in Cologne today. Amazing player and singer - he used to play at the Musikmesse for years.
    We talked for a bit and it turned out we met some months back when he was looking for a room. Small world!

I'm really thinking of getting a stick, but it's next to impossible finding a used stick in Germany :(

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I didnt practice today. I had a wedding reception to play instead.

Yesderday, I worked on learning a bunch of reggae covers.

Stuff in my Funk Fusion bass and Building Walking Basslines books, I also did an impromptu jam session with some friends. Yesterday was a bad day for practice, as I spent the bulk of the time learning the reggae covers.

My goals are to obtain more sessions/gigs as a freelance player, and to join/form a reggae band and play the clubs along Clearwater, St. Petersburg and any other clubs on the beaches around here on a regular basis. With hopes to get gigs in Daytona, Miami, and other places in the state. Why limit myself to just playing here in the Tampa area right?

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I did a quick (and innacurate reading) of the prelude of Bach's G major sonata (boy, do I need work). Also, I'm toiling over a brass arrancement of a Jazz tune I wrote for a class I'm taking. I might bug you harmony experts on something a little later.

17. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Today, I did a lot. I have no life, and it is a Saturady.

BASS-
    I did some warmup scales and arpeggieos(sp?). Then, I practiced some speed picking, then worked a lot on slapping on the higher strings(G&D). I wrote some lyrics to a song I'm coming up with, and finished the music for said song. Then I worked on some covers and origionals that need some work. After that, I screwed around playing Rapper's Delight (fun bass line), as well as other random stuff for no apparent reason.

TUBA-
    About an hour later, I started practicing my tuba. After about half an hour of warm up lip flexibility patterns and warm-ups, I worked on some of my school music. After I realized that I could play that stuff with out practice, I moved on to the hard stuff. I practiced my grade 6 (that means very hard) solo. Tuba Concerto by Edward Gregson. I hope to use this solo to get into Eastman School of Music in NY (IMO the best music school in the country). That solo will take about another year of practice to sound really good.
    (if this paragraph makes no sense to you, it's a tuba player thing)

Then, I warmed down with some more flexibility exercises.

It was getting too late to play loud music, so here I am now, posting on TB.

What a busy day.

Nick

18. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I've figured out about 40 songs(most of em are easy),so everyday i just go through those and play them,and sometimes try to make the lines in them more exciting.Today I did that,and wrote the intro for a song me and my friend that plays guitar are making up.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mostly working on woodshedding to learn all of my old 4 string lines for the originals band on a 6 stringer. And writing lines for a couple of new songs.

Also did a few exercises for fretless intonation.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Today I worked on my harmonic taps. I love tap!