What did you replace your Aggie GS112s with

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lawndart, Jul 8, 2005.

1. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Ive been reading that the GS112s dont cut through enough in the mix or in a band situation. Im curious what people replaced them with? I've got two of them and I find myself messing with the EQ (mesa Walkabout) all the time. If its not boomy it too midrangey.
  2. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    With a Schroeder 1210, amazing improvement...
  3. Replace your band. If you need to "cut through" they are probably not providing a very pleasurable listening experience for the audience. Get a drummer that's not a jerk. Get a guitarist that's not a jerk. That should more or less take care of it.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the bitter response has been given apparently...

but yea, if you need cut and punch, anything with 10" speakers will do that for you. i've pretty much have sworn off anything larger than a 10" loaded cab.
  5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I changed over to Euphonic Audio CXL112s. I did a side by side comparison with my (then) amplification system and the EAs were superior (to my ears) in every aspect; clarity, punch, low end extension, and volume.
    It was a little pricey to step up to the EA stuff and truthfully it took me a little while to get used to the real lack of coloration of the cabs, but having owned them now for a while, I'm a total convert!
    I really, really like them.
  6. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    thanks guys for your responses. especially c-ba55's. Im gonna still mess with my controls. Its not like im competing against 2 Marshall 1/2 stacks, they're both peavy and fender combos.
  7. I replaced an Aggie GS112 with a Bag End S15D.
  8. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    No problem cutting through any band I've played in with my two Aguilar GS112's.
    I did just the opposite. I replaced my two Bag End S15d's with two Aguilar GS112's and am very happy with the switch. Both are great cabs, just my preference in tone.
    I have read in previous posts that the aggies lack midrange. Compared to Bag End I would say yes they have less midrange, but they have enough mids for my ears.
    Anyway from what I've seen The GS112's have a good resale value so if you decide to change you won't be losing alot of money on the sale.
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it's all in the EQ IME. Overall i prefered my bag end S15, but i really liked them both. The Aguilar 112 wasn't as loud and dopsnt have the mids the BE has, but i found that a bit of EQ (sometimes a cut in the lows or a bump in the high mids) helped the aggie "cut thru" just fine.
  10. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Let me add that if you think the aggies don't cut through the mix, then the Bag Ends are the way to go. The Bag End midrange WILL cut through any band mix like a hot knife through butter.
  11. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I threw an Avatar B210 Neo on top of my Aggie GS-112. Aggies takes the lows, B210 punches.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    All the Schroeder cabs are fine tuned to sound really good in the mix with a live band.

IMO, they are the best that I have experienced in the 'cut through the mix' category that still have great tone.
  13. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    The Bag End is tuned very high and has very little action below around 60 HZ. You can crank it up and it will cut, but there is a trade-off in the amount of lows. Basically, with speaker cabinets there is no free lunch.
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    an Acme B-2. :p

but FYI, try cutting a little level, while spinning the frequency knob from 250-500Hz. you should rid yourself of the boom, without losing punch. to add more punch try somewheres in 100-200Hz.
  15. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Another happy Schroeder user (and former GS112 user). The 1212 is very portable, hella loud, and cuts through great without being annoying.
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    IMO, "cutting through the mix" is a function of the room or stage acoustics as much as the band's characteristics. For pure tone, I prefer a 15 or a 12 alone or as combined with 10's, but when the whole band is playing (especially with PA support out front) I like 10's with the mids emphasized and the lows cut a bit for cutting through the mix live on stage.

I'd love to get a 4x12 bass cab, but I worry that it would sound great on its own, but not do the job for me when the whole band was going. 10's do the job for me, but frankly they don't do the job when solo'd.