1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What did you think of Pino w/ THE WHO?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mr Top 10, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Mr Top 10

Mr Top 10

Nov 22, 2006
    What was your reaction when you first heard that Pino would be stepping in for John? And I, for one, haven't heard him play with him...(anyone posting some live links would be appreciated)...but have YOU? What did you think?

Thanks.

2. I saw the televised live set at the BBC electric proms,

I don't like his tone at all- is he using flats?
    too flabby and indistinct for the classic Entwistle lines.

I thought Damon Minchella (Ocean Colour scene/Paul Weller)fitted a lot better with the Who at Live8- more of a rock player.

then again, maybe Townshend & Daltrey deliberately went for a departure from Entwistle's sound.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I thought he was an odd choice, when I heard about him joining The Who. Such an abrupt departure from Entwistle's style of playing...

MM

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I saw them and thought Pino sounded great with them. The whole band played as they had something to prove. Nothing like death to not let you take anything for granted anymore.

5. When I first heard about Pino playing with the Who, I thought it was an extremely odd choice. I love Pino, but he isn't exactly known as "Mr. Rock and Roll." I haven't seen them live, but I have checked out a certain amount of there stuff on youtube. I gotta admit that it isn't as odd as I thought it would be. His tone is better now that he's playing the Jaguars. More punchy and upfront. No Entwistle by any stretch. I do have a feeling that it took him some time to find his place.

6. Pretty much my thoughts entirely.
    It was as if he deliberately underplayed the My Generation solo, very dull and lifeless.
    On a slightly different note, they really don't need that second guitarist anymore now Pete's back on electric, showing them all how it's done.:hyper:

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I think Pino is an accomplished player and dig some of the stuff he has done. That being said, he didn't pull off the "My Generation" solo with authority.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I like Pino, a lot, but not with The Who. I saw them in Toronto shortly after Entwistle's death in 2002, and hated his tone. I've also listened to some recordings of their more recent shows and didn't see a big improvement; perhaps the Jaguar is better, though I haven't heard him with the Jag.

Another thing about Pino's role with them, at least IMO, is that while Pino is excellent in filling a lot of space, developing some excellent lines, he seems to sit strictly in the pocket with Zak. In most bands, that's ideal. But, with The Who, you need a bassist who weaves melodic lines creating a tension in their interplay with the ferocity of Townshend's leads. Because of this interplay, Entwistle HAD to have a lead guitar tone out of his bass...it wouldn't work any other way. IMO, it doesn't work with Pino.

9. I have to agree , the thunderous bass solo was very weak i'm afraid

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've had the awesome opportunity to see the Who live while John Entwhistle was alive and then again after his death when Pino was the bass player.

I think that he's got some impossibly big shoes to fill but he did an admirable job when I saw him.

11. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I don't dig it. Then again, I'm not exactly an impartial observer-- this isn't the Who anymore, it's just Who's Left.

12. Mr Top 10

Mr Top 10

Nov 22, 2006
    Yes....there's a lot of truth to this. Losing John is like Zep losing Bonham. It's just too big of a hole.

13. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

For me it's....without John Entwistle, it's just not the Who.

George

14. I had the fortunate opportunity of seeing a concert during the last The Who tour before John’s death. I just saw The Who in Georgia last month with Pino.

Pino was The Who’s first choice when John past away. That must say something about Pino.

That being said, Pino is no John. John had huge shoes to fill. I am a hard core John Entwistle fan so maybe my opinion is somewhat impartial. In my opinion, John made The Who sound the way it did. John’s soloing style was a perfect accompaniment to Pete’s power chords. Pino’s approach and style is not John’s. After seeing The Who last month, I personally hoped and then wished Pino would have stuck closer to what John played on the older The Who songs and attempted to emulate John’s sound.

John Entwistle’s passing was a monumental (I want to say catastrophic) loss to rock music and bass guitar.

15. I saw The Who in Sydney a while back with Pino and the guitar was pretty up in the mix so the bass was relegated to functional bottom end. Pete made a comment and a tribute about John's Style being pretty much unable to be copied.

They go with a pro I guess. And maybe out of respect don't get a clone to play the lines note for note. Who knows.

16. I'm glad Pino plays the way he does, because his IS awesome (if I HAD to nominate someone for the best bass player in the world, I personally would have to say Pino) and he does do an amazing job at what HE does. Pino is Pino, Entwistle was Entwistle. It just makes sense that Pino brings his own style to the band

17. Well I think that was what Townshend was getting at. He knew what a unique approach John had and was simply stating this is the guy we have now and live with it, because we can't replace Entwistle.
    It was quite a touching moment and showed the respect they had for him as a player.

18. OT but perhaps Metallica could take a leaf out of their book on how to treat bass players then hey :bag:

19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003

20. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Pino is an amazing and wise bassist, he knows he cant emulate The Ox, no one can anyway. So what he does? He plays like himself what is already awesome.