1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What did you want to be when you grew up?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Milk, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    In the vein of the profession thread, what's the first thing you remember you wanted to do?

When i was 8, i really REALLY wanted to become a fighter pilot.... That would be pretty hilarious for anyone who knows me now.

THAT being said, i've had a fair lifelong interest in aviation which peaked in my childhood, and this childhood fantasy means i have the useless skill of being able to identify the vast majority (well...the majority of the ones that saw any decent use anyway) of fighter planes worldwide (current or past). The idea of going to war though is so far removed from who i am....also the idea of actually being in a fast jet....when i can't even bear rollercoasters...

The second thing i really really wanted to do was.... well, rock star. I don't have that exact dream anymore, but living off music is still the thing i'd most like.

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    "Inventor"

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I had no clue. There's no telling where I would be right now if I had learned about setting goals early in life. The reason I dropped out of college the first time is that I wasn't shooting for anything. I simply had no clue what I wanted to do.

But, hey, at 42 I still haven't grown up yet..... so there's still time!

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

a guitar player :(

5. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Settled for second best uh?

6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I wanted to be a fighter pilot also. Never happened but I did get my pilot license later in life and I fly 2 to 3 times a week now.

7. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    That's cool. There's a little history for my interest there. On my mom's side, I have an uncle that was (he's dead now) a airline pilot, another that runs a bush planes business (he has a fleet of like a dozen planes and all his 4 sons, my cousins then, are pilots) and my granda flew and had a private plane. As for my dad, well, he built and flew several...model planes. But that still meant magazines with planes all around. Despite all this background, I just didn't end up being a likely candidate for becoming a pilot....

8. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    IM GONNA GO AND SHOOT MYSELF NOW. THANKS FOR YOUR INSPIRING STORY.

9. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

If you are 38 you are still young enough to go back to night school and earn your dream. I went back to night school at 29 for five years and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I don't think it is ever too late. I will be the first to say that it does require hard work and sometimes the lack of sleep.

10. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    "single"

11. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've had a knack for the law most if my life, and I'm good at swaying people's opinion when I speak. I've had a very interesting Forrest Gump life. I got to do some very interesting, tough and tense work while in the military in my younger years. I got hurt and was medically retired. Then I got (back) into the restaurant business. Was very blessed financially, and was able to give about 60% of that blessing to my ex wife. I made my first small fortune in the automotive industry, and my second in technology. I've married the two, have my own company, which affords me the opportunity to have the collection of guitars (and guns and blah blah blah) that I've always wanted.

The key to all of that was that I have an insatiable drive, I learned how to speak and write well, I've learned the psychology of need in people, and I have incredible focus. I got over being "aimless" by age eight.

12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    When I was younger, I had an interest in jewelry and I would like to be a jeweler. that would be the one profession I would like to have if I wasn't interested in being a musician.

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    When I was a kid, I used to say, "when I grow up, I want to work in a corporate office, doing some type of finance; hopefully using computer software programs to refine the application of annuity payments from other large corporations, so that payrolls from groups of employees can be processed into various funds, following SEC guidelines, maximizing efficiency, and minimizing errors."

And then the kid who wanted to be a cowboy would punch me, and I would cry.

Lucky me, though; I DID end up getting to live that dream!

14. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Grow up? I don't get it.....

15. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I wanted to be a drummer when I grew up, then I realized that I could only do one or the other...

16. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I wanted to be a pro hockey player till junior year in high school when I started to figure out that i was good but not that good. A few smaller colleges wanted to give me rides but I joined the military instead.

17. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Rich still working on it:mad::(

18. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    As a young child, I wanted to be a veterinarian. I never pursued that.

As a slightly older child, I, too, was (is) fascinated with fighter aircraft, both old and new. It got to the point where when I entered HS I set my sights to attend the Air Force Academy. Around sophomore year, however, I discovered punk rock and rock and roll, which completely changed my direction. Soon after, I started playing bass (not as a career, mind you). The AFA idea when out the window.

For a brief period in my early teen years, I thought about becoming a hit man.

Throughout all my years of childhood and adolescence I was always fascinated by the martial arts. All kinds. I've pursued that, and playing bass, ever since.

At age 45, I operate a dojo full time and play bass/sing part time, both to live life and to make money.

19. A drummer or a drunk. I achieved one of them. Can you guess which one?

Alcohol was glamorized when I was a kid. Drunks were cool. They got the most laughs on the Dean Martin Roasts and even on Adam 12. The pastor of our church was drunk constantly. So was my dad.

Alcohol free for almost 9 years, I think. Still kind of pickled.:D

20. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Seems like a common thing for young boys......also, i was a kid when Top Gun came out... (when i grew up i of course realised these guys in the movie were douchebags...)

Inspiring story. But....did that other kid ever get to be a cowboy? (i don't think mothers should ever let their babies grow up to be cowboys though, cause they'll never stay home and are always alone even with someone they love, they should have them become lawyers and doctors and stuff)