1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What difference between Ampeg PF115he and Avatar 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbd1963, Jul 10, 2012.

1. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm using my PF-500 on top of a 10 year old Avatar 115 and boy does it sound sweet, but I'm super attracted to the look of the total Flip Top package. Is there going to be a big difference between the old Avatar cab and the PF115he?

The only thing I can tell you about the Avatar is that it has an 8 ohm Eminence Kappa in it. And that it sound great. Even if I get the Flip Top, I'm keeping the Avatar for my 2nd cab.

2. The cabs are very different. One is sealed (PF) one is ported (Avatar). They are going to sound very different and probably wont play well together, but if you are interested I would check them out together.

3. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I wish I could, but there aren't any near me. :(

Can you describe at all what difference there is in the unported PFs sound vs the Avatar?

4. bass151

bass151

Mar 10, 2012
    Just some minimal time spent with a flip top cab at a local store. The flip top rattled (maybe latches). Seemed to fart out at gig type levels with any appreciable lowend. The seal on the flip top didn't seem tight, how could that sound good? Inexpensive steel frame woofer. Don't remember if it was a 350 or 500, but it sounded like a cheap cab that looked, well cool. I'm a big fan of eminence drivers and would bet your current cab sounds better.

5. More low end roll off. A lot of people really dig the Ampeg tone with a sealed cab. The only way you are going to come to that decision is to play through one yourself. I know its hard to find on to play through, my local GC doesnt stock them. I tried one out on a road trip.

Even if you do end up getting one I would not pair it with your current ported cab.

6. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah, I can't find one near me at any music store, at least with Google. I will hold off on this decision until I can play through one.

Thanks guys!

7. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    FWIW- The ported version of the PF-115 is now available...
    http://www.ampeg.com/products/portaflex/pf-115lf/index.html

However, the only way You would know how well it would play with You Avatar is toss of the coin, till You try it. You could check with a local "big store" retailer to see if they're stocking them, for a try out or order one from an online retailer with a 30 day return policy.

8. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It's got the look, but not a Flip Top so the rattles that might cause are not a problem. Hmm.. I think I might just try it out with that return policy you mentioned..

I really don't play venues large enough to need two cabs (though it's conceivable that I might one day), so if it doesn't play well with the Avatar it isn't necessarily a deal breaker. But it does have to sound as good.

Thanks for your help!

9. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I had rattling problems on my pf115 and i just replaced the tiny weather stripping under the top with some wider and thicker weather stripping. It tightend things up and the rattling stopped. Easy and cheap fix.