1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Difference Does the Core Make?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jasper383, Nov 6, 2006.

1. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    DR Low Riders--Hex Core
    DR Sunbeams--Round Core

Other than this, the same strings. What difference; feel, sound, longevity, does the core make?

Thank you.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Inactive

Jul 27, 2000
    DR Lo-Riders come in two versions, stainless steel or nickel plated steel
    Sunbeams only come in nickel plated steel.

Feel:
    Round core is usually more flexible feeling than a hex core string. Also, in my experience, a round core string almost seems to roll under your fingers, like a classical guitar string might do.
    Hex core is much more common.

Sound:
    Round core strings usually offer a brighter treble response and an overall clearer sound than a hex core string. Hex core strings usually have a more pronounced low end response.

Longevity:
    This is so subjective. Some feel that round core strings last longer because the wrap wire is in total contact with the core, leaving no space for dirt, grease, etc. to get trapped in the windings
    Others believe that hex core strings last longer because of the "grip" the wrap wire has to the core, making it not slip, etc.

In my experience, DR strings are some of the best out there and I've gotten equal life out of the hex core and round core versions. I've tried them all but I prefer the stainless steel Lo-Riders (hex) and the Marcus Miller Fat Beams (round). I guess I could have just answered your question by saying that only you will know what you like so you will have to try all of them and see.

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I switched over from using D'addario and various other hex-core nickel's and steel's to a custom set of DR Hibeams. I love these strings. I dunno what I was thinking, but I ordered a custom set of 30-40-60-80-100-130, when I've always used 30, 45-105 and a 135. The roundcore definitely gives more flex, and I'm gonna have to raise my action to eliminate some fret buzz, but these strings just kill.

4. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    DR hibeams are the shizzle

5. +1 to all of the above. I've never experienced a SS string like Hi Beams... very smooth, extremely bright, but they settle down quickly and stay at that 'couple day old' sounding level for a LONG time... very nice on the frets and fingers, and a little more elastic than most other strings. I also attributed that to the round core, but more from reading their marketing info than any sort of engineering knowledge. Whatever the reason, I use these strings (45-125) on all my fretted instruments.

6. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

DR HI BEAMS, or FAT BEAMS. You'll luv'em.:cool:

7. Glider

Glider

Sep 13, 2006
    Thanks for the description, I am new to Bass and know nothing about strings, and it is just way to confusing to know what sounds like what

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

i just recently did this switch also. DR highbeams have more definition and punch too i feel.

9. I gotta say that I tried the DR SS Hi-beams on my 5 string Cirrus and couldn't stand them. Went back to the good ole' cheap D'addario XL's and life was good.

10. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    Just as there's no substitute to putting in the hours to become good there is no substitute to trying diff. string types and companies yourself to decide what you like. When I first started out I tried a different string every time until I found something I really liked and stuck with it.