1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What difference would a new bridge make?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dirtjumper2001, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Hi everyone,

This may seem a stupid question, but what difference would fitting a new bridge make to tone, playability, etc? I play a MIA Fender Jazz with the stock bridge, string thru body, etc. I'm happy with the way it all sounds, but was wondering if a new bridge would further improve on the sound. It may not be necessary for me at all, but I was just wondering what difference it would make.

I did a search, and over a 1000 threads showed up, so forgive me if this has been covered before, feel free to point me in the right direction :)

Cheers

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Provided your bridge is really with a string-thru-body design, then you won't get a drastic change in sound, you'll only get a slight change, if at all.
    It's more about the added flexibility in setting up action etc. when you install a 3D bridge.

3. Whoa, thanks for the quick reply. Thats exactly what I was wondering, whether it would make hardly any difference or enough of a difference to consider looking into getting a new one.

Cheers :p