Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What different strings do basses come in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 311 fan, Oct 20, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    I know most, but not all. So how many?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, 1-9 individual strings (I've seen) and then 8, 12, and up to nine in double string and higher, like twelve sting guitar. A 4 could be 8 or 12 or 16, a 5 sting could be 10, 15, ect. It's pretty much exponential. So anywhere from 1- 27 if a nine string bass had 3 of the little "secondary" stings like the 4 sting bass that has twelve ergo big-small-small, from the F# down. That's my knowledge, but there may be less/more made that I don't know about.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've seen tripled 6 strings, 18 strings total, and Jonas Hellborg has one with 10 individual strings, although he reportedly doesn't play it anymore.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Of course he doesn't! How could anyone? I bet even John Turner would feel a bit awkward... :D

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    hehehhe I like those Chapman Sticks.. are they Considered basses? or what... or just stick with TONS AND TONS of strings, like those 12 string Chapman Sticks!! o_O!!

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Any number you want tuned to your own preference.

Rule No. 1 - There are no rules.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I heard there are 30 string basses, out there.... but not sure :) People makes some weird looking basses!!! :D

John Turner: Thinking about getting 21 strings? (7x3) hehe:)

DM

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    shoot, i always feel a bit awkward - nothing new there :D.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've tried 15's before, 5 strings x3, and while i liked the sound a lot, i don't think i would feel very comfortable playing them. the sound WAS cool though, which is why i am getting many of my basses refitted with rmc synth pickups, so that i can use the vg8 in conjunction with the regular magnetics and get the sound without all the strings :D.

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    AH!!!! so your 7 string sounds like a 21, but its a 7! I getcha.. Go for the record 11 string John Turner!!! :D!!!!

Tuning would be what...

C#-F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb?!?!??!?!??!

O_O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh, he USED to play it, but he got out of all of that shredder virtuoso stuff and plays mostly Acoustic Bass Guitar now.