what direction should I go? (anyone answer)

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by far-lessbass, Mar 30, 2002.

1. far-lessbass

Mar 30, 2002
    ok...here's the deal. I am in a heavy melodic rock band. Tone is the issue...mine needs work. I am currently using an Ibanez 590 series, with active p-and j-pickups, and a hartke 4 by 10, with the Hartke 3500 series head. I am going for a mid-range, gritty (not flabby), almost pick type tone. I want note distinction, but blending as well. I don't want to invest so much; my band jumps around alot, something that will travel well, and have the tone I want. Right now, I have tried everything, and seem to get too puncy a tone. Punchy is good, just not for our style of music. I played an American Deluxe p-bass, a Warwick Thumb, an MTD, and several others....the Fender coming the closest to producing what I want. I want a new guitar...not amp, but is the amp the problem with punchiness? anyone answer...as much feedback as possible please,
    joseph (far-less)
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    hi Joseph,

without wanting to sound like I'm copping out, tone is such a subjective thing, and such a hard thing to describe that it's a bit difficult to make more than sweeping generalisations about what would be good for you. You amp shouldn't have any 'punchiness' problems. My suggestion is that you find a shop where you can use the same amp set up to audition the basses - if you're going to be spending that kind of $$$ it's worth taking your own amp down if they don't have that set up in the shop. Then you can hear exactly what it'll sound like.

good luck

www.steve-lawson.co.uk (new Cd available here now)