1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what direction should I go? (anyone answer)

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by far-lessbass, Mar 30, 2002.

1. far-lessbass

far-lessbass

Mar 30, 2002
    ok...here's the deal. I am in a heavy melodic rock band. Tone is the issue...mine needs work. I am currently using an Ibanez 590 series, with active p-and j-pickups, and a hartke 4 by 10, with the Hartke 3500 series head. I am going for a mid-range, gritty (not flabby), almost pick type tone. I want note distinction, but blending as well. I don't want to invest so much; my band jumps around alot, something that will travel well, and have the tone I want. Right now, I have tried everything, and seem to get too puncy a tone. Punchy is good, just not for our style of music. I played an American Deluxe p-bass, a Warwick Thumb, an MTD, and several others....the Fender coming the closest to producing what I want. I want a new guitar...not amp, but is the amp the problem with punchiness? anyone answer...as much feedback as possible please,
    thanks,
    joseph (far-less)

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    hi Joseph,

without wanting to sound like I'm copping out, tone is such a subjective thing, and such a hard thing to describe that it's a bit difficult to make more than sweeping generalisations about what would be good for you. You amp shouldn't have any 'punchiness' problems. My suggestion is that you find a shop where you can use the same amp set up to audition the basses - if you're going to be spending that kind of $$$ it's worth taking your own amp down if they don't have that set up in the shop. Then you can hear exactly what it'll sound like.

good luck

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk (new Cd available here now)